• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dwight, I am just using the old wheels for work purposes. Already have 5 new NDT's with combat rims all prepped and ready for install.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'd call your progress outstanding TWM. You are certainly doing the old girl justice!!:D
I betcha she will be the pride of the Comfort, Texas Veterans Parade next year!:popcorn:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sun gods smiled on me today and let me clean and prime the frame. Needed to touch up the crossmembers and then on to primer. Little wind and it took me about 1 1/2 hours. Next will be to clean the brake lines and main full line. Supposed to turn cold tomorrow but back in the hight 60's by mid week. I will work on the front and rear axles and replace bearings, seals and gaskets as necessary and then tackle the brakes. Once done, I will apply the OD paint and pop in the engine.

Frame-1.jpgFrame-2.jpgFrame-3.jpgFrame-4.jpg

zout

Don't know about you - But almost every time I see something I really like and am attracted to as far as materialistic things - I usually pick out the most expensive without
even seeing the price tag - it just rings out QUALITY and well made precision.

I have seen several pics sent to me directly of the work on this unit and I am truely impressed. I am not an experierenced judge nor qualify myself of being one - but you can tell
true craftsmenship along with the housekeeping while work is getting done - not to just make pictures look pretty when you take them - its just the way an individual works all the time in
a non cluttered area and he knows where everything is at all times. Clinto is another one of them folks.

This happens from experierence - it is something you cannot teach someone - they either have it or they do not. HOUSEKEEPING while working.

Kent - awesome work and that will be an outstanding vehicle when you are done with it - no doubt about it.
* note - this is just an opinion and not that of one that actually knows WTH about anything.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The sun gods smiled on me today and let me clean and prime the frame. Needed to touch up the crossmembers and then on to primer. Little wind and it took me about 1 1/2 hours. Next will be to clean the brake lines and main full line. Supposed to turn cold tomorrow but back in the hight 60's by mid week. I will work on the front and rear axles and replace bearings, seals and gaskets as necessary and then tackle the brakes. Once done, I will apply the OD paint and pop in the engine.

View attachment 397183View attachment 397184View attachment 397185View attachment 397186
When I get big I hope I can do excellent work like you and Commander Warp always do.

My best efforts usually end up looking like a mentally challenged 10yr old did it!:-(

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks but Commander Warp has forgotten more than I will ever know. The frame work was my biggest hurdle. Got to kick it up a notch now. :grd:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thanks but Commander Warp has forgotten more than I will ever know. The frame work was my biggest hurdle. Got to kick it up a notch now. :grd:
Yeah...I know. Commander Warp threatened to come to the compound in Zout Two's minivan and tow the DUKW 120 miles with a chain to his garage and start "fixin" on it cause he said we are slackers at the compound...and we are sorta close.

You're prolly safe in Texas... but I wouldn't count on it!:grd:

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
TWM, you are doing it right. I can't give higher praise than that.

Doing it right takes a lot of time, patience and $$$. It's not for everyone.

:beer:

rrrr

Looks like your project is progressing quickly. I finally have my 43 WC 52 running again. Just about done and ready to finish up the front and begin on the bed. Like your bed mine is very rough and will need all 4 corners redone. The weather here is going to get cold so I won't be doing much the next few months since I'll need to prime and paint.

The wiring harness I got from Maine Wiring is a work of art. Expensive but very nice.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rrrr - Looks nice. Good luck on the four corners. They can be a pain. I could not afford a new harness so I purchased a NOS harness for under the dash and for the dash lights. All the rest I will fabricate. A very nice man in Australia sent me complete instructions and diagrams for one he purchased for his 12V system which should be identical to mine. Also, a not so nice man in Georgia :D gave me a speedometer.

Last edited:

rrrr

This will probably be the last body off restoration I do, too much work and expense. I know I will probably never get my money out of the truck but it will be fun the first parade I do with the 50 bmg on the gun pedestal.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, holiday season is over and I am getting back on the project. Currently working on the axles and brakes. I have attached pics of the rear brake backing plates and the crud. I have cleaned everything up and refinished the inside of the backing plate with high temp engine paint. New shoes all the way around as well as wheel cylinders. I will clean the rear hubs and brake drums and install all new seals and gaskets hopefully this week. Fronts are next as I just received a replacement axle for the drivers side. The original axle spit those large knuckle ball bearings all over my shop when I removed it.

Also replaced a shock mount on the rear axle and installed new spring bumpers on the front springs. Finally I installed the intake and exhaust manifolds, crankcase vent system and the fuel pump heat shield. More later.

Brake-1.jpgBrake-2.jpgBrake-3.jpgRear-Shoe-and-Cylinder.jpgFinished-Backing-Plate.jpgShock-Axle-Bracket.jpgFront-Spring-Bumper.jpgEngine-Status.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progress

Good call on the high temp paint, looks great.

Are you going to paint the wheel cylinder where it's exposed on the backing plate??

I just set the brakes on the Deuce and was disappointed to see rust on the wheel cylinders especially around the bleed screws.

Lesson learned for me so next time I'm priming and painting wheel cylinders too.

Last edited:

scottgs

Looking really good!

It used to bother me when the brakes were all gunked up with slime. However, I learned last weekend that it's preferable to things being rusted solid. ;)

This would also seem a good time to ask if anyone has a recommendation on a large screwdriver bit to use on those brake drum screws? In the past I've always been able to remove them with a standard hand impact wrench, but I've got a couple that just won't budge. An hour of heating and pounding and nothing. I know I can drill it out, but I'm wondering if there is a better tool available that will take them out more easily? The bit on my Craftsman impact driver is about 3/8 in wide, which is only about half the width of the screw slot. I read in TM 9-810 a reference to a tool that is also used on the drag link. Any idea what that tool is?

Garret

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a Impact driver with the 3/8" spade bit on my drums. I did soak them in PB Blaster for two days before removing the screws. Another options would be to get a very large flat blade screwdriver with a square shaft and use a wrench to assist.

Good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks