• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

zout

they spend months on building a foundation for a building - takes no time at all for the building to go up after the foundation is done - You have a great foundation there Kent - the rest will fall into place

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well got side tracked today and spent most of it taking down a friends limestone wall with a jack hammer. My back is killing me. Did get to repair the cab floor hat channel for the passengers side rear cab mount. Also was able to get the other large floor patch in. Got my towns 4th of July parade and BBQ tomorrow so hope to get the final patches done on Friday and apply epoxy primer.

Hat Channel Patch.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the final patches on the cab bottom and put it in epoxy primer today. Will feather in some Duraglass tomorrow and turn it over and work on the cab interior to get ready for primer, paint and installation on the chassis. Also received the donor cowl vent and drain assembly from MWM today and will start measuring it up to graft it in the current cowl area. Also received the parts for the exhaust system today and will install those tomorrow.

Cab Bottom.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Attended a delayed 4th of July party today so was late getting started. Installed the exhaust system on the WC and hope to get started on the Duraglass for the bottom seams tonight. Have a good weekend all.

Exhaust.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent the morning doing final adjustment to the engine. Set the timing and she is running smooth as silk. No evidence of the timing cover gasket leak so that appears to be repaired. Temp and pressure are fine so I can start installing some parts around the engine compartment. Plan for this afternoon is to start on grafting in of the donor cowl vent and drain. Pictures at that time. [thumbzup]

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, this afternoon I worked on replacing the existing cowl vent with a donor piece that still had the drain channel attached. Took quite a bit of measuring and cutting but finally got the new piece fitted and will weld it up tomorrow. Before I can weld it, it needed to install a donor cowl vent control arm which opens and closes the vent. The one on my WC was missing. I found an old assembly and had to patch it into the dash before I weld in the donor vent. Here are some pictures.

Donor-Cowl-Vent.jpgDrain-Channel.jpgExisting-Cowl-Vent.jpgNew-Cowl-Vent-Cut.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, this afternoon I worked on replacing the existing cowl vent with a donor piece that still had the drain channel attached. Took quite a bit of measuring and cutting but finally got the new piece fitted and will weld it up tomorrow. Before I can weld it, it needed to install a donor cowl vent control arm which opens and closes the vent. The one on my WC was missing. I found an old assembly and had to patch it into the dash before I weld in the donor vent. Here are some pictures.
I am always amazed and motivated when I see what others can do easily, (make look easy) that seems impossible. Your repairs show us all that anything can be resurrected with enough skill, patience and love :)

Awesome job!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
N ice dice & slice job with some really cool tool
The tool you are talking about Zout is indeed cool, but it is not the coolest tool I own. Beside you would not want to see my coolest tool. :cool:

When I got my WC51 the cowl vent cover was in place but the drain and the cowl vent operating lever assembly was long gone. So, I was able to get a close match for the lever assembly but I had to splice it into the dash bracket at the correct spot since my donor piece was too long. Anyway, I shortened the link from the lever assembly to the cowl vent and welded in the lever assembly. Not purty but functional. Once I clean it up a little it should pass muster.

Cowl-Vent-Lever.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks