• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the donor cowl vent installed in the cab and it went in without too much cursing. ;-) Also finished up the rest of the major repairs on the top side of the cab and applied epoxy primer. Now it is ready for the body filler work so I need to watch some Youtube videos to learn how to do that.

Cowl Vent Inataller.jpgCab-and-Cowl.jpgCab-in-Primer.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, got the patch and filler work done on the cab and will clean it up and apply the 2nd coat of epoxy primer today. I will then go over it one more time and shoot the OD, hopefully tomorrow.

Cab.jpgVent.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks great, I know where I will be sending my busted up rusty and almost a scrapper Cab in the future if I need repairs :)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys that can do body work amaze me. I fix dang near anything mechanical, but it will still look like crap when I'm done. I can't do body work to save my life. It is looking outstanding and can't wait to see it in person someday!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well, got the patch and filler work done on the cab and will clean it up and apply the 2nd coat of epoxy primer today. I will then go over it one more time and shoot the OD, hopefully tomorrow.

View attachment 441222View attachment 441223
Ok...looks like you're getting close to putting the WC51 back together so I just wanna make sure I'm straight on what I'm supposed to do.

I'm supposed to pick up your WC51 and transport to CAMO HQs and drop off my WC4 for you to start work on...Is that right??:roll::roll:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok...looks like you're getting close to putting the WC51 back together so I just wanna make sure I'm straight on what I'm supposed to do.

I'm supposed to pick up your WC51 and transport to CAMO HQs and drop off my WC4 for you to start work on...Is that right??:roll::roll:
Sort of....When you pick up the WC51, you will need to come a day early so you can give my Eulogy. fat lady sings

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys that can do body work amaze me. I fix dang near anything mechanical, but it will still look like crap when I'm done. I can't do body work to save my life. It is looking outstanding and can't wait to see it in person someday!
You must be mistaking me for Zout. He is the brains behind my efforts. When you come, just take a train to San Antonio and I will pick you up. :-D

zout

Don't go blaming me - your just an excellent listener - plus your figuring this while working with it - being there and giving suggestions are two big different things - but it seems you got the basics and took it steps farther and the work looks excellent.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cab is painted. I am satisfied with the outcome considering the truck is almost 70 years old and the amount of rust repair required. Will paint the bottom tomorrow and then get busy on the things below the cab that need to be done before I mount it. Thanks to my Brothers Zout for the guidance and PB for keeping me moving. I can be slow at times. :-D

Cab-Dash.jpgFirewall.jpgDrivers-Side.jpgPassengers-Side.jpgCowl-Vent.jpg

Last edited:

zout

Absolutely outstanding Kent - JOB WELL DONE and yes I am SHOUTING THAT. Workmanship on that cab was well done along with fabricating in the cowl vent and working with that.
Guidance on current products has absolutely nothing to do with hands on work and figuring it out as you go along - all I can be blamed for is advise on current products and best of use - using them and mixing them and sanding is all on your end Bro. I think you have something you'll be happy with.

Worse part about doing this - only YOU know each imperfection - but remember what you had when you began. And its better or near what it was when it came out of the factory to get blown to smitherines or machinegunned - handgrenaded - you get the idea - its life expectancy is far beyond what the builders of the original every thought it would be.

Great to see yet another WC come to life. proud of ya for what its worth.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Absolutely outstanding my Brother!!!:beer:

I just wish there was SOME WAY for us all to get all our old military vehicles from all eras together in one place and get the remaining folks that used them in the same place at the same time!!

I would just LOVE to hear some WWII vets tell their stories about a WC51 or WC whatever they used as well as later vehicles/vets.

rrrr

I got my bed on my wc52 and the floor boards. I have a composite box so there are about 1 billion bolts to put in. Tomorrow I install the gun mount and try and do the wet sanding to put a coat or two of OD on the bed. Its getting very close !

TWM your work looks great hang in there.

Attachments

Last edited:

o1951

Cab is painted. I am satisfied with the outcome considering the truck is almost 70 years old and the amount of rust repair required. Will paint the bottom tomorrow and then get busy on the things below the cab that need to be done before I mount it.

Exceptional! Something to be very proud of - Great job. Hope you don't get the issues Zout got on the undercarriage.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks