• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
You're gonna have to get cotton booties to put over your boots so you don't mess up the paint. First Rate rebuild Kent!
Plus, get a case of Clinto's rubber gloves to keep hand/body oils off the paint etc.

I'd say the standard white paper "painters coveralls" should take care of the rest.

I sure hope I don't spill my Crown and coke on that truck when I make my surprize inspection visit!:D

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Dude.

Epic.

zout

Ahhh - I really hate to mention this - BUT - those cab hold down bolts and springs you have installed - the springs are on up-side-down.

HAHA - made ya look.

Awesome craftmenship and FINALLY (whew) its coming together - just think - in 2020 you'll be rolling out of the garage driving it for the first time.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not too much progress today. Worked on the chassis wiring harness and got everything laid out except three trailer circuits and 2 control circuits. That was because I am tape measure challenged and did not order enough wire. Ordered more from Erik's Surplus so it will be here mid week. Blasted the radiator to cowl supports rods, the seat hold down bracket, tranny tunnel and the two floor pans. I will primer them this afternoon and paint and install Monday if all goes according to plan. Which of course it never does.

Rear-Light-Wiring.jpgFront-Light-and-Junction-Wi.jpgTunnel-and-Floor-Pans.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
TWM, I know it's a heck of a hard hit to the wallet to order that harness from Vintage but after all the work you've put into getting that truck so nice you and the truck deserve a break!
Get the harness Bro!!:deadhorse:

I've been saving up my money and I think I only need to mug about 20 more kids for their lunch money and I'll have enough to order the harness for the WC-22:D
:papabear:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would PB but at $1400 plus dollars it ain't happening. Besides, I can't afford to pay attention let alone pay for a harness. And there is the problem of school kids. We do not have enough to mug here since they are all on the free lunch program, not to mention breakfast and dinner if their parents work late. aua

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've built wiring harnesses before.

I finally decided if I wanted to be tortured, it ought to involve a woman wearing pvc.

o1951

If you take your time, you can make one at least as nice as store bought, and better than original for very little money. Buy the color wires you need, lay them out and temporarily secure in place. If you think you may add loads in future, or convert to 12 volts, now is the time to go to a larger wire on that circuit, or add extra circuits with a different color wire. Leave a bit extra at ends - not sloppy - just a nice curve. That way, if you have to cut off a light socket or terminal in the future, there is enough to do it without splices. Temporarily tape it every foot or so- I use masking tape. Remove and wrap the harness with protective covering. I use a vise with wood jaws to hold one end as I wrap. Crimp and solder connectors for long, trouble free service.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you take your time, you can make one at least as nice as store bought, and better than original for very little money. Buy the color wires you need, lay them out and temporarily secure in place. If you think you may add loads in future, or convert to 12 volts, now is the time to go to a larger wire on that circuit, or add extra circuits with a different color wire. Leave a bit extra at ends - not sloppy - just a nice curve. That way, if you have to cut off a light socket or terminal in the future, there is enough to do it without splices. Temporarily tape it every foot or so- I use masking tape. Remove and wrap the harness with protective covering. I use a vise with wood jaws to hold one end as I wrap. Crimp and solder connectors for long, trouble free service.
So what are you doing next week?

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good Kent. I am now facing the wiring issue, as the wiring in my M37 is just good enough to run the charging circuit and the oil pressure. Even as simple as the wiring is on the M37, I know it will be an up hill fight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks