• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

L1A1

I don't have any pink zip ties but I have a red one here sitting next to my computer as I type. If you want it (substitute standard), PM me your snail mail address & I'll drop it in the mail to you this week......

Matt

zout

TWM - now I know not to tell you anything at the rally anymore - what happens in hunting camp is SUPPOSE to stay in hunting camp - but seeing as ya brought it uptutu.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, today started early with one of my sheep birthing twins. This is the first one in awhile that is taking care of both of them so I do not have to bottle feed. Hurray! Today I finished the wiring harness so all that is left is connecting the headlights, B/O parking lights and the B/O Drive light when they are installed. The I cleaned up the cab fire extinguisher and holding bracket which will be installed later. Finally I did some torch work to reform some bent light guards. Interestingly enough, I set up a rack to hold my torch while I was doing some reshaping and low and behold, I backed into the flame and torched my right calf. So, I have now be to the Commander Warp school of self inflicted pain. Finished the day by using the old needle scaler to remove rust and paint from the light guards and grill. I will blast and primer them tomorrow. Out!!!!

Drivers-Side-Harness.jpgPassenger-Side-Harness.jpgCab-Fire-Extinguisher.jpgLight-Guard-and-Needle-Scal.jpgGrill-and-Light-Guards.jpg

zout

OK - I say uncle - I have officially called my Son's graphic company and having him make up a bumper sticker that says:

TWM is my HERO - I want to grow up to be just like him

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got some work done today while waiting for our Austin grand kids. Removed the inner windshield grab handle for the old frame and brazed it onto the new inner windshield. My first shot at brazing and it is not pretty but it is functional and will be painted.

Moved on to lower rear portion of the front fenders. These have brackets are usually heavily rusted and my WC was the poster child. Cut out the old rotted area and welded in new patch panels at the lower portion of the fender which attaches to the fender support arm on the chassis. What you see is the new fender bracket and reinforcement plate. It is held in with cap screws and nuts since I do not have the ability to install large rivets. Prior to painting I will grinds them down some and they will not be visible to anybody but Commander Warp.

Inner-Windshield-Handle.jpgRusted-Fender-Brackets.jpgFill-Panel.jpgFender-Patch-Panels.jpgReplacement-Brackets.jpgReinforcement-Plates.jpg

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For Future reference, get rid of PB Blaster. Go buy "Free-All." I have had bolts that wouldn't budge with PB Blaster, and I sprayed some Free-All on them and let set for 2 minutes. They came off like clockwork. It's amazing stuff. It was hard to believe until I tried it.

o1951

I have been using one like this for years. Well within my budget. Got it at Sears, below.

Grip Pop Rivet Installation Gun Hand Tool $14.99

click to zoom Description Item # SPM7050302704 Model # 30069

Use this 90 deg Rivet Tool to install rivets in the following sizes: 1/8, 3/32, 5/32, 3/16 Inch. The heavy duty build of the tool uses a 90 deg head and rubber cushioned grips. Included is a wrench for changing the tooling sizes.

zout

Peek a boo - I see them - nice work and your the one with the hands on and what ever you have available - its all GOOD BRO. Continuance of awesome workmanship Sir.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Got some work done today while waiting for our Austin grand kids. Removed the inner windshield grab handle for the old frame and brazed it onto the new inner windshield. My first shot at brazing and it is not pretty but it is functional and will be painted.
Moved on to lower rear portion of the front fenders. These have brackets are usually heavily rusted and my WC was the poster child. Cut out the old rotted area and welded in new patch panels at the lower portion of the fender which attaches to the fender support arm on the chassis. What you see is the new fender bracket and reinforcement plate. It is held in with cap screws and nuts since I do not have the ability to install large rivets. Prior to painting I will grinds them down some and they will not be visible to anybody but Commander Warp.

View attachment 450231View attachment 450232View attachment 450233View attachment 450234View attachment 450235View attachment 450236
Ya see...that's the difference between and amature (like me) who would just throw up his hands and beg "the boss"(wife) for money to replace the part and a true craftsman (like you and Zout) who can just cut out the bad areas and reconstruct them!!:beer:

Way to go Bro!!:not worthy:

zout

We just see the "good" when the stuff sits there that is useless or junk to anyone else - we already "see" the project done - now the issue and labor is just to get there. TWM has done an outstanding job on this and its no doubt he should and will be proud when he drives it. Now I have the problem of getting him over my sister fettish and always wanting to see their pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks