• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I went 15 rounds with the front bumper. The used bumper was in horrible shape so it required substantial body work with is not my strong suit. Installed the mounting brackets to the frame but had numerous problems getting all the holes to lined up due to a incorrect front frame spacing. Needed to narrow the width about 3/4 of an inch and tried beating it into to submission only to realize that was not going to happen. Placed an emergency call to the Zout Master who recommended I use a ratchet boomer (which the local welding shop loaned me) and chain. After trying several set ups I finally got the mounting bolts installed battling each one. Needless to say the air was blue by the end of this process. Here are a few pictures and a couple of shop photos. Now on to the cargo bed.

Bumper-Brackets.jpgInstalled-Bumper.jpgTow-Hook.jpgCurrent-Progress.jpgCrowded-Shop.jpg

zout

Amazing - you would not think that SMALL of a trailer would be hard to finish up and have done by now - how long have ya had it ??rofl

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazing - you would not think that SMALL of a trailer would be hard to finish up and have done by now - how long have ya had it ??rofl
Had it about 5 weeks now. I plan to put it on my fast track project list so it should be done in about 18 months. :rolleyes:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got on the WC cargo bed today after some subtle ribbing from a friend. The task ahead of me is to start by doing the major metal body work prior to blasting, and then blast and prime the metal portion of the cargo box. I say metal because the later WC51's have a bed with a metal frame and the rest was wood (oak). Prior to starting today I modified my cargo bed dolly with larger omni-directional dolly wheels. Makes it easier to roll around.

All the corners need work to fill a multitude of holes that folks have drilled in the last 72 years. So, I started with the drivers side rear corner. I cleaned the surfaces and filled the holes with my mig welder using a copper backing plate since the welding fill will not stick to copper. Filled some 19 holes in this one corner alone. Did some prep grinding and cleaned up the surfaces. Will start on the passenger side rear corner tomorrow.
All this while keeping a sharp eye out to protect the western flank of the Georgia Mafia. :burn:

Bed-Dolly.jpgPS-Rear-Corner.jpgDS-Rear-Corner.jpgDSCorner-1.jpgDS-Corner-2.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BET ya all forgot about this project - I know the owner did rofl:burn:
I have entered the wood working phase of the project's cargo bed. Since you indicated are not a "wood working expert" in your thread about Swiss' trailer, I am sure you will appreciate that it is extremely complicated in that you have to measure twice and cut once. I measured once today (although I have no photos) and hope to measure a second time very soon. Besides, I am sure you have seen and used a tape measure sometime in your past activities. The creative juices are really flowing.
:rant:

measureTwiceCutOnce1.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ya know...the wood for the bed of the WC-22 fit perfectly here in Columbus but when Zout tried to install it, it seemed to be about 1/2 inch too long??

(Zout thinks it was because someone backed the truck into a tree or sumpin while unloading)

Last edited:

Nick

Ok, silly question, but am I correct to assume you painted it combat rims after assembly? I have combats on my trailer, unfortunately Im goin for the two tone look. So I can't repaint the whole rim after. But after I put mine together the impact did some ugly stuff to the nuts and ring paint job, so I touched em up with a brush after. Doesn't look too bad, but still not nearly as good as yours. And they will be going on my Power Wagon with the same color combination

Attachments

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To Commander Z's credit swiss the woodman's opinion on the WC22 wood bed is SWEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beyond sweet. But then the whole job was that way. I have large expectations to live up to. [thumbzup]
Every man approaches a project with a different perspective and skill set. Some are looking for perfection, some escape, some want immediate outcome and results, others are looking for the challenge. Whatever your approach, the expectations should be yours and yours alone. The problem with the creator is that he knows every flaw and imperfection. While others can marvel at the outcome, the one that created sees only the problems. Whatever the outcome appreciate the fact that you did it and overcame the hurdles that presented themselves.

And most importantly, your build is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Last edited:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swiss, that is my 1942 Ben Hur 1 ton trailer. Once I complete the WC, I will move on to that puppy and then have a good tandem for parades until I croak and PB moves them to the compound. Who know, Zout may haul his pigs in them. "Where the Hog Meets the Log".

Ben Hur.jpg

Attachments

zout

TWM - I did learn from some ole timers that worked with wood - why I hung around them I will never know - BUT - when they cut a little too much off - they were sweeping up the sawdust from the cut - grabbed the Elmers Glue and started to patch (sounds like wood bondo to me).

I liked the idea of patching wood - but not working with the crap - I'll leave that to the termites.

o1951

Zout, ya gotta remember where the man lives.
COMFORT, Texas.
He is used to working in comfort.
It is now around 40 Deg. there!
Too cold to work.
He will continue his excellent work when the temp gets comfortable.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zout, ya gotta remember where the man lives.
COMFORT, Texas.
He is used to working in comfort.
It is now around 40 Deg. there!
Too cold to work.
He will continue his excellent work when the temp gets comfortable.
Comfort Texas, interesting Demographics, looks like a nice small town area and has one of the most historically preserved downtown in the whole state of texas. You have to be careful in Comfort as they are Freethinkers.

Comfort was established in 1854 by German immigrants, who wereFreethinkers and abolitionists Ernst Hermann Altgelt, at the age of 22, is credited with surveying and measuring the lots that would later be sold to the incoming German immigrants. He stayed and married Emma (Murck) Altgelt, and they raised their nine children in the township of Comfort. Fritz and Betty Holekamp built the first house in Comfort having started construction before Comfort's official founding on September 3, 1854. The first churches were not established in Comfort until 1900. After some controversy, a cenotaph honoring "the Founding Freethinkers" was dedicated on November 2, 2002.

The downtown area is possibly one of the most well-preserved historic business districts in Texas. There are well over 100 structures in the area dating back to the 1800s, and seven of them were designed by the noted architect Alfred Giles. Mr. Giles lived inSan Antoni.o, and he would ride horses, the stagecoach, and later the train to check his building sites in Comfort. Most of the population today is composed of descendants of those original pioneer families of the 1850s and the 1860s.

Demographics.

As of the census of 2000, there were 2,358 people, 799 households, and 603 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 735.6 people per square mile (283.6/km2). There were 917 housing units at an average density of 286.1 per square mile (110.3/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 76.34% White, 0.51% African American, 1.19% Native American, 0.13% Asian, 0.21% Pacific Islander, 18.70% from other races, and 2.93% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 45.00% of the population.
There were 799 households out of which 38.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.7% were married couples living together, 11.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.5% were non-families. 20.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.82 and the average family size was

In the CDP the population was spread out with 29.3% under the age of 18, 10.7% from 18 to 24, 25.5% from 25 to 44, 20.1% from 45 to 64, and 14.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 94.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.5 males.

The median income for a household in the CDP was $28,799, and the median income for a family was $29,295. Males had a median income of $20,972 versus $15,000 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $12,687. About 27.1% of families and 29.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 39.2% of those under age 18 and 3.3% of those age 65 or over.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks