• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thanks Carlo. I followed a Facebook post on a WC restoration in Italy by a gentleman named Luca. He was very helpful to me with some critical measurements.
AHHHH!!!! Now I see why the bed came out lop-sided!!

Er...you DO realize that 1 millimeter is not the same as one inch??:whistle:

zout

Nothing that a big glob of wire weld will not fill up - grind it off and its back to spec's again - little paint and WA LA - MAGIC.

TWM - if that does not work grab a handful of zip ties and some spray bondo and go for it.

Another Ahab

UFB.

Short story: Was project manager years ago for a renovation in DC at the Embassy of the FRG (Germany). The drawings were all metric. Situation Normal: nobody had anticipated that.

The carpenters in DC during that era were mostly all from down in the Shenandoah Valley (now mostly all from out of the mountains of El Salvador: everything changes). Feet and inches of course was all those carpenters knew. It was a problem.

I found and bought up a couple dozen metric tape measures before we mobilized, and gave one to each carpenter, plumber, and electrician on the job. In a single day (ONE day), they were all sold; to the man.

The key was eliminating the whole conversion nightmare. Without having to figure the #@^%* conversion problems (metric-to-standard, or standard-to-metric) it was a breeze. You just rolled out your tape and marked the exact measurement shown on the drawings. And the architect was German so EVERYTHING was exact.

And they especially liked the additive measurements: mm+mm=mm's (doesn't get simpler than that).

And a mm is small enough that it eliminates all the "RCH" kind of fudging. And of course no need for calculating 3/4"+1/2"+3/16" kinds of problems.

They never had to stop to calculate anything: just measure, cut, install. Everyone of those guys (including me) was sold on metric after that.

Last edited:

Tin Medic

Tin Medic here. Just spent the last I dont know how long reading your build from start to now. Your work sir, is outstanding. It's obvious that you have had a lot of support from the forum members which is nice to see and something to look forward to. Again, excellent work.

(and when are more pics coming?)

Another Ahab

Hey Tin Medic.

Don't want to hijack Tinwwoodsman here, but sure want to give you a fine welcome.

Start a thread and let us know what brought you here, and what your plans are (if any). Maybe some of the "assembly" can offer a little direction (if that can help). Anyway, welcome from Virginia.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started working on the wood sections of the cargo bed. I purchased 140 board feet of rough cut cured red oak which I will mill down as needed for the cargo bed. Began today with the interior side panels of the bed (outside is steel). Planed and finished sanded the wood sections and then cut them to size. Needed to join two strips using my biscuit joiner so I cut the biscuit pockets and glued both sections together to obtain the required dimensions. Tomorrow I hope to cut out the sections for the metal wheel well panels. This will require two stages of routing using a arc jig.

Wood-Bed-Side-Panel-Diagram.jpg Milled-Lumber.jpg Glued-Side-Panels.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started working on the wood sections of the cargo bed. I purchased 140 board feet of rough cut cured red oak which I will mill down as needed for the cargo bed. Began today with the interior side panels of the bed (outside is steel). Planed and finished sanded the wood sections and then cut them to size. Needed to join two strips using my biscuit joiner so I cut the biscuit pockets and glued both sections together to obtain the required dimensions. Tomorrow I hope to cut out the sections for the metal wheel well panels. This will require two stages of routing using a arc jig.
OMG most awesome TWM :)

Love the pictures, love the workshop and more importantly love the red oak. I have been tooo busy to do any work on the trailer :(

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Whoa. NICE shop. Wow!
Now there's a thread that could be fun to start: "Show Us Your Shop".
Guess I'll have to search if it's already out there…Man, I HATE homework; always did...
But Tinwwoodsman, your shop there is Blue Ribbon. I'm talking A#1.

That shop is WAY too clean, neat and organized.:shock:

How the heck can you work in such harsh conditions TWM??:naner:

zout

For TWM the pics did not even surprise me of how well the "housekeeping" in your workshop is.

Just like the WC an extremely fine piece of workmanship and near immaculate all the way through on assembly.
There are probably some moments you have to clean up more than you want - but I doubt its very often.

Outstanding craftmenship Kent.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
TWM doesn't know it yet but he is gonna finish the truck and I'm gonna pick it up before August and have it at The Gathering so all the Guntruckers and Transportation folks can see it, then take her to the GA Rally in Oct so all the SS folks can see her!
After the Rally and TWM flies back to TX she will prolly be stolen or just disappear!:roll:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a handy kudzu patch we can park it in. 18 hours, and you won't even know it was in there.............

Tin Medic

Kent, I think you should bring it to anyone who wants to see it. Kind of a world tour. Your ad could be "Kent's Restored WC-51, coming to a driveway near you".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks