• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today's work involved sizing the interior oak cargo bed side boards to final dimensions and building a router jig to cut the metal wheel well plates that are installed on the sideboards. Lots of different cuts made it interesting but it worked out okay in the end. Started with the jig to cut a 1/4" grove for plate lip. Then cut a 1" wide shelf for the plate to be bolted to and finally used the router to chamfer the wheel will edges on cutout.

Well-Plate-Router-Jig.jpgPlate-Lip-and-Recess.jpgWell-Plate-Opening.jpgFinished-Openings.jpgBeveled-Well-Edge.jpgWell-Plate-In-Place.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent quite a bit of time over the last couple days trying to mill the wood necessary to restore the WC cargo bed. Finally got all the pieces cut and installed with the exception of the four compartment lids. I have included a picture of the original cargo bed which was rough to say the least. Once I get the hinges delivered I will finish trim and install the lids. Then it is on to the body filler work and once that is done I will remove the wood and apply a sealer and then paint for re-install.
I hate this part :sad: Here are the pictures:::

Original-Cargo-Bed.jpgCargo-Bed.jpgPassenger-Side.jpgPassenger-Side-Wheel-Well.jpgWheel-Well-Plates.jpgPassenger-Side-Rear-Compart.jpgBattery-Compartment.jpg

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tin its amazing the work you have done if I could have voted for your truck a 100 times I would have GREAT job.

Another Ahab

Spent quite a bit of time over the last couple days trying to mill the wood necessary to restore the WC cargo bed. Finally got all the pieces cut and installed with the exception of the four compartment lids. I have included a picture of the original cargo bed which was rough to say the least. Once I get the hinges delivered I will finish trim and install the lids. Then it is on to the body filler work and once that is done I will remove the wood and apply a sealer and then paint for re-install.
I hate this part :sad: Here are the pictures:::
You say you hate it, but it's a treat to see the work come along and your progress photos. Thanks a million for that.

How do you keep all the boards from cupping and twisting? Do you kiln dry the lumber, or something?

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You say you hate it, but it's a treat to see the work come along and your progress photos. Thanks a million for that.

How do you keep all the boards from cupping and twisting? Do you kiln dry the lumber, or something?
The wood is red oak. It was originally dried at the mill and it has been sitting in my climate controlled shop for about 1 1/2 years because I am notoriously slow ans Zout will attest to. Biscuits have been used for all joining and the box metal provides a very secure base.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wood is red oak. It was originally dried at the mill and it has been sitting in my climate controlled shop for about 1 1/2 years because I am notoriously slow ans Zout will attest to. Biscuits have been used to all joining and the box metal provides a very secure base.
TWM you are not slow, you flavoring life like the aging process of a fine Whiskey!

Very Very Nice Work

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Now I'm getting REALLY excited to see that rascal in person!!:beer:

Looks like I'm gonna have to find an excuse for a CAMO road trip to Texas. (MB would shoot me if I said I just wanted to see the truck).

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got some time this weekend to finish the wood and hardware elements of the bed Cargo Boxes on the WC. Required a tremendous amount of measuring and adjusting since the bed is 70+ years old. Next is to do some bodywork on the metal sides and then remove the wood and seal and paint the wood and prime and paint the fasteners, hinges and latches. I will try to get the bed floor planks done and test fit before I do that. Here are some pics. :smile:
Drivers-Side.jpgPassenger-Side.jpgP.S.Forward-Compartment-Lid.jpgD.S.-Compartment-Lid.jpgRear-Compartment-Lid.jpgLatch-Assembly.jpgWheel-Well.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks