• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started on the floor boards for the WC today. Installed the front metal bed panel and made sure the bed was square. To my surprise it was!! :shock: Began by dimensioning the rough cut red oak to prepare for thickness planing. Once this was done I mortised the bed strip recesses for the metal bed strips. Trimmed boards as necessary and installed for a test fit. Tomorrow I will install the rest of the fasteners and install the strips for the side and floor joints. I will cut the 3" mortises for the large washers for the 1/2' frame mounting bolts. Then it is on to the body filler work. Her are some pics.

Milled-Lumber.jpgThickness-Planing.jpgDimensioned-Floor-Boards.jpgBed-Strip-Mortise.jpgBed-Floor-Rough-In.jpgFront-Panel.jpgBed-Strips.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Started on the floor boards for the WC today. Installed the front metal bed panel and made sure the bed was square. To my surprise it was!! :shock: Began by dimensioning the rough cut red oak to prepare for thickness planing. Once this was done I mortised the bed strip recesses for the metal bed strips. Trimmed boards as necessary and installed for a test fit. Tomorrow I will install the rest of the fasteners and install the strips for the side and floor joints. I will cut the 3" mortises for the large washers for the 1/2' frame mounting bolts. Then it is on to the body filler work. Her are some pics.

View attachment 479100View attachment 479101View attachment 479102View attachment 479103View attachment 479104View attachment 479105View attachment 479106
I know it's "supposed" to be painted OD but it's just a crying shame to hide that beautiful wood under paint!! I'm pretty sure I would have to cheat a little and just stain/seal the wood parts.:goodjob:

zout

Around Zouts house if he had them wood saw thingy tools the wood would be stained by blood - I doubt if I would have any fingers or limbs left.

Most outstanding TWM - make it a candy cutter look alike WC just like everyone else has OR do it the way your thinking and set a new standard of perfection others will then copy.

Another Ahab

You thinking about finishing that red oak (beautiful boards BTW) with tung oil or anything?

Or just leave it to weather raw? Had time to give it any thought?

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You thinking about finishing that red oak (beautiful boards BTW) with tung oil or anything?

Or just leave it to weather raw? Had time to give it any thought?
I have been into woodworking long before I got into MV's so I know the spendor of beautifully finished wood. The fact is this project is a restoration and my original goal was to bring the WC51 back to the state that it was delivered to the U.S. Army in Feb. 1945. That means the wood will be sealed and painted OD to match the rest of the vehicle. Yes there are other options but this is what I want to do. Just a personal preference really. Doesn't mean it will be a trailer queen, just original.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have been into woodworking long before I got into MV's so I know the spendor of beautifully finished wood. The fact is this project is a restoration and my original goal was to bring the WC51 back to the state that it was delivered to the U.S. Army in Feb. 1945. That means the wood will be sealed and painted OD to match the rest of the vehicle. Yes there are other options but this is what I want to do. Just a personal preference really. Doesn't mean it will be a trailer queen, just original.
I certainly understand and somewhat agree with your thinking TWM...BUT...think of all the trees that gave their lives to make that beautiful wood!!:drool: They could live on as part of your beautiful truck if you just stained and sealed the wood!!:naner:

zout

A painting contractor was speaking with a woman about her job. In the first room she said she would like a pale blue.
The contractor wrote this down and went to the window, opened it, and yelled out "GREEN SIDE UP!".
In the second room she told the painter she would like it painted in a soft yellow. He wrote this on his pad, walked to the window, opened it, and yelled "GREEN SIDE UP!".

The lady was somewhat curious but she said nothing. In the third room she said she would like it painted a warm rose color. The painter wrote this down, walked to the window, opened it and yelled "GREEN SIDE UP!".
The lady then asked him, "Why do you keep yelling 'green side up'?".
"I'm sorry," came the reply. "But I have a crew of blondes laying sod across the street.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I certainly understand and somewhat agree with your thinking TWM...BUT...think of all the trees that gave their lives to make that beautiful wood!!:drool: They could live on as part of your beautiful truck if you just stained and sealed the wood!!:naner:
I understand why you guys want the wood natural finish. As a compromise I will agree to do the next WC in natural oak. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks