• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-63 Brake Cylinder Compatibility

scottgs

I need to replace the complete hydraulic system on my WC-63. The parking brake is good, but not that good. I have an opportunity to acquire some parts, but have a couple questions which I can't seem to find the resources to answer:

- Are all 6 wheel cylinders the same, or are the front cylinders different than the rear cylinders?

- Are WC and M37 slave cylinders the same?

- Are WC and M37 master cylinders the same?

I'm not going for exacting authenticity, but would like them to work correctly.

Thanks,
Garret

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Garrett, I suggest you take some time and visit Midwest Military's website. The have sections for each vehicle and you can familiarize yourself with the differences. Also, download some TM's as you will need them.

scottgs

Thanks for the recommendation.

I believe I have the basic WC and M37 TM's, except for TM 9-1840C, which I think is not a real TM. I have also spent quite a while at Midwest Military's website, as well as several others. However, niether seem to definitively answer these questions.

Midwest has a good website, but unfortunately it is not very well organized, which makes it difficult to find and compare parts. They seem to have an excellent inventory, which is very reassuring, but one has to wade through 18 pages in order to find things since there is no index or organization within each vehicle type. Perhaps I'm not using thier website correctly?

I guess I could assume that since they show a photo of a slave cylinder, and say that have them to fit all WC and M37 trucks, that they are all the same. But they don't definitively say that. Then I see a set for the WC-63 that has different front and rear cylinders. But then I see on another cross-reference sheet that they are the same. So I don't know what to think!

Garret

Last edited:

1958 M274

I'll preface this by saying that I have no first hand experience with a WC-62 or WC-63 6X6 Dodge. I do, however, have a 1942 WC-51, and have worked on a few M37s. The wheel cylinders are the same between the WW2 3/4 Ton Dodges and the M37 series. There are left wheel cylinders and right wheel cylinders, but they are the same size on both axles. I suspect your truck will be the same, just with an additional axle, but I'm not 100% sure.

The WW2 master cylinder is different from a M37 master cylinder. The WW2 master cylinder sits at a slight angle, so the reservoir on top is sloped to sit level. The master cylinder for the M37 is mounted horizontally under the drivers side floorboard, so the reservoir is parallel to the cylinder bore. The M37 master cylinder will work on a WC, but since it sits at an angle, you won't be able to completely fill the reservoir. That said, my WC-51 had a M37 master cylinder on it for years until I rebuilt an original WW2 one about a year ago...

As Tim said, check with Mid-West Military. I've spent more on parts for my WC from John than I paid for the whole truck! He is very knowledgeable, will take time to answer questions, and offers good quality parts.

Good luck with your new WC-63!

scottgs

Thanks for the info on the master and slave cylinders, especially on the M37 compatibility. That's the kind of thing I want to learn. I think I'll wait until I speak with John at Midwest before I go any further. I know what you mean about spending more on parts than the vehicle costs. I fully expect to spend at least 2 times what I paid for the truck, just for the parts to restore it. Right now, I just want to get it going so I can test drive and see what shape the drive train's in. Running it yesterday was very encouraging, especially seeing the oil pressure over 40 PSI at fast idle, and the generator actually charging. I didn't expect that!

If anyone wants to answer me another question, Are the the M37 and WC Carter carburetors the same? Mine apparently has a civilian Carter carb on it, and I want to replace with the Military Carter with complete elbow and air cleaner assembly.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help. This is so exciting!

Garret

Last edited:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Garrett, the carb for the WC51/52 and the M37 is the Carter ETW1. I am not sure about the WC63 but I would imagine it is. One thing you might keep in mind is that there are many products I see on Ebay that will tell you they fit a WC but actually do not so double check if you go that route. As for the price of parts. If you get by for "twice as much" you have my congratulations. :p

scottgs

Yeah, I figure 2 times the purchase price just for parts, then another pile for the bed repair and fabrication, then more for misc. body work, paint and then more for the accessorisation (the truck will get tools, radios and gun stuff of some sort). So it will be be up there by the time I'm done, and I'll wonder why I didn't just buy one already restored.

On the carb, I believe my WC-63 manual (TM 9-810) shows the carb as the ETW1. And just thinking, a friend just purchased an M43 as a parts truck. Hmmm...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks