• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wc/m37 brakes

Diamondjim11

Guys,
Has anyone found a crossover number or local supply for the brake shoes on a WC or M37? I started looking and I can't believe the prices of 28-35 dollars a shoe. Maybe I am reading it wrong but I was pretty sure that's what was listed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Jim

paulfarber

Any brake shop should be able to reline them for a few bucks... unless your shoe itself is bad. TM should cover the brake material thickness.

Here are the NOS linings:

http://www.midwestmil.com/dodgewc16.html scroll down about 1/3rd of the way.

I'd call them if you need the entire shoe.. they do list a lot of parts, just no search.

Last edited:

Diamondjim11

Thanks for the lead, my shoes are fine and just need relined, the lining listed on the above listed site is for the 11 inch. I am pretty sure mine are 14 inch. I will call and see if he has the 14 inch lining. Thanks again.

paulfarber

I wouldn't kill myself hunting for NOS lining... no need and any brake shop will have stock that will fit. Just need to tell the the thickness. Everything else they can get off the old shoe.

M37Dodge

Also, keep an eye out for M101a1 trailer axles. When I lubed my M101 bearings - I was suprised to see new axle nuts and shoes. The lining was ~ 7/16" thick - much more than on all the M37's used used I have used. Sadly, my local shoe reliner went out of business years ago. NAPA had them as B-89 for ~$90 a set. I will likley swap out the M101 shoes for those on my M37.

CGarbee

I don't have the NSN numbers handy, but I do know that the M101 and M101A1 use the same brake backing plate, shoes, ect., as a M37... Actuation is mechanical (parking brake use only) instead of hydraulic, but the parts you want to swap are the same.
Bearings and seals in the M101, M101A1 are the same as on a M37 as well... :)

I long ago converted all my M37's to disc brakes...

CGarbee

The 101 is the 3/4 ton right? Thanks again
Jim

The M101 is the 3/4 ton cargo trailer. There is a Canadian M101 that is actually a 1/4 ton trailer that is very similar to the M416, but you don't see them that often in CONUS, and when somebody talks about them, they usually note that it is the little Canadian trailer (they have to I suspect, since they also use the 3/4 M101...).

FWIW: The thickness of the friction material on the shoes is given in the TM's for the truck... I remember seeing it in the rebuild section in the Power Train, Body, and Frame and I think that it is in the Parts one as well although it may just list the item number.

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

Even without knowing the propper thickness of the brake linings, the shop should be able to find the propper thickness if you tell them your drum diameter. The diameter of the shoes they have. The other they can calculate and grind them down to the propper thickness, if they have no propper lining in stock, at least in Germany. Here the price is about 25 Euro for a relining of a brake shoe of that size.
Wolf
By the way, the Stock number of the front lining is 2530-878-9219 and the rear lining is 2350-878-9218, for the rivet5320-050-1207.
TM 9-2320-202-14P, August 1962

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks