• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC63 info and thoughts needed

Hey guys... I need some thoughts from yall Dodge guys...

A friend of my brother is looking to get rid of his WC63...
As of now, I don't know if there is a title or anything. This is all the info I know:

WC63 complete truck minus the bed...
Engine has a bad ring set and started knocking.
Truck is a rolling chassy with everything else removed and in piles.
Owner says it is all there and in good shape, just no bed. Only 4 rims.
I looked at a couple of pics and the cab looked almost rust free but is currently sitting on it's side. The frame/battery boxes/axles/t-case/everything looked almost rust free and in good shape. He said the winch is complete with PTO.

I have tried to look up as much info as possible on these trucks and haven't found a whole heck of a lot. I know these are the TM's but can't find any of them online for free...
- TM 9-810 Operator & Maintenance
- TM 9-1808A Power plant, clutch, & electrical system
- TM 9-1808B Powertrain, Chassis & Body
- ORD 9 G507 Parts list

Right now he is asking for $1000 and said if it doesn't sell he will take it across the scrap scales. He isn't in any hurry to do so, but will.

My questions:
I know without pics it's hard to judge, but do yall think it's worth it? (I will try to get pictures...)
Are the axles the same under the 63 as other WC applications? Knowing that will make wheels easy to find and or brake conversions easy to look into.
Any WC63 specific info I should know that one of yall has? I have done most of my research in deuce trucks but still don't know much. I am new to the WC world and have only admired from a far when I see one... on the internet... lol

As always, any and all info/pics/ideas are helpful and appreciated!!!

Last edited:

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello BlackNoma, And my comments are these: obviously this is a full restoration project, make sure you want to do this by asking yourself 1. Will you enjoy it once finished? 2. Can you afford to do it ? 3. Can you afford the time commitment? I say this because you ask and because for 18 years I owned a WC53 which is the same vehicle except it has only a single rear axle. I was able to get almost everything for it and ran iit constantly, to include reenactments, until the engine gave out and sold it. I spent a lot of time and money but I enjoyed it constantly too. Think about this.

tankdriver

Look at it this way....

He has already done a lot of the work for you by stripping it down. Take off a few more items, and it is ready to paint, and start putting it back together. General parts alone could be sold for more than he is asking.

Does the engine run? Are any of the cases cracked. If not, go for it. Midwest Military sells a complete bed kit for around 600.00.

I like the WC63. Look down a couple threads for photos of mine.....

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A WC anything is worth a 1000 dollars. Half the work is done, and engine parts are easy to get.

tankdriver... I'm going to send you a PM.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! I really appreciate it! Keep them coming! Any personal experiences with anything is appreciated!

I wouldn't have time for it for a couple of months, but have a place that can store it until then. The thing that bothers me is if there is no title/data plates for the truck. How impossible would it be to attain legal documents making it mine and it being able to drive on roads legally?
A while back I showed a picture of a WC51 to my wife when i was looking at m109's and jokingly asked if we could buy one and she said "Now that you can buy! It looks way better than that rolling brick" we had a laugh and I continued looking at deuces. When this came to my attention I showed her a picture of a completed WC63 and she said she might consent to purchase, but then I showed her how it sat... she said she had to think about it. After we looked over finances and time lines (we are having a baby any day and then moving from Beijing to Texas in July) she gave me the green light to buy it!!!!

I am ready to roll on the deal but waiting to hear if he has any documentation on the truck or data plates. He said he would get me more info in a week or so.

AS for the engine, he said "rolling complete truck with blown engine". I am not sure how much longer he ran it after it started knocking or what condition it is in now. I don't know what engine it has.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you there are lots of parts out there, and you will learn, as I did, that not all the vendors are "reputable" In around the year 2001, I bought a rare winter canvas cab enclosure with doors, and when I received the equipment, it was shrunk so badly that I couldn't use it, and it was missing mounting hardware that was promised, but never delivered. This guy is still in business ;He reportedly went to Viet Nam to recover large amounts of parts for the WC series trucks. I cant say in public which vendor it is but he is a thief...

ducer

I have never had one of those or for that matter new they even existed until a few years ago, but looking at what is there I would have to say buy it and save it! I believe there were only around 600 ever produced, so not that common. Even at worst if you had to repower it with a small block chevy or chrysler v8 you could still keep the exterior stock with parts from the other w/c 's that were produced. Vin or serial numbers should be stamped on the frame some where. While it would be a lot of jumping through hoops you could get a builders title, Just make sure you save all reciepts for everything. Last but hopfully least I see way over a grand in parts sitting there. Just my humble opinion.

Denny

Thanks for the opinions and info! I appreciate it!

Talked to my brother more today. From what he gathers, the truck doesn't have a title. I am trying to get more info on it and pictures of parts to try to see if it truly is more or less "complete".

I hear that if I join the MVPA (not only for this reason) I can get in touch with a company that can get me a title for the truck... Anyone have experience with this?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. I am in the Process of getting a title for my M185A3. I hired a company who specializes in these matters , called Ohio Titles. You can give "Buddy" a call at 216-235-5634, and please tell him Peter Mark with the big army truck recommended you call...

MHRF

My 2 Bits

Food for thought...
First... A VERY nice feature of the T214 and T223 trucks is that you can easily locate the serial number (VIN) of your chassis. Look on the driver side frame rail toward the front of the fender well and you should be able to clearly see the number stamped into the metal. Hopefully it's not rusted out or rotted, like on one of my WC52 organ donor trucks....
Next... we all have a TREMENDOUS resource available from the Chrysler Museum. Send those folks $25 and they will send you the Build Card for your truck. You'll know when it rolled off the assembly line, & this may come in handy later when you apply for a Title....
In addition... here in the Sunshine State, there is a provision in Chapter 319 of the Florida Statutes that permits the owner of an antique, ancient or historic military vehicle to obtain a title when none exists for whatever reason. It is a process, and does involve notarized paperwork and affidavits, but it is easier to do than most folks think. See if Texas is likewise good to vintage vehicle owners and if similar provisions exist in Texas statutes.
Furthermore.... between people like John Bizal in MN, other dealers, and folks on the forums, you should be able to eventually find everything you need to rebuild the truck and get all the tech advice you'll ever need. As you rebuild it, you'll learn everything there is to know about these things and their cousins. Most importantly, you'll have a truck you'll be proud to own, drive, show and take your wife and kids to get ice cream in. No Joke...
May I also add.... the asking price is well worth it. Even if you never do anyting with it and part it out, you should easily make more than the asking price. Just the gas tank, steering gear and winch setup should cover that. Since you also have a place to store her indoors, you are way ahead of the game.
Lastly... I bought my 1944 WC63 recently from a really nice old vet out in New Mexico. When she arrived 2 days before Christmas, I drove her off the transporter with no problem. She's not too far from perfect and for the $$ I invested, I got one helluva deal. She's a real head turner and you can carry 12 of your closest friends or just about anything else around. The truck is also a BLAST to drive. The gas tank goes back in after being renu'd on Friday, then it's off to the beach for a road test!!!
In conclusion.... Buy the truck. You can't lose.... Best Of Luck !!!!

Thanks for a little more motivation MHRF! I have been doing a little research on obtaining a Texas title and it should be too difficult. It will take some time to obtain, but I am fine with that.
I am still working on getting my brother out there to actually view the truck and take some pictures for me of the pieces/parts piles. Hopefully this purchase will come together fairly soon.

Well guys,
I started to really think about the WC and what I would use it for. I would love to have it, I know it would be such a blast to drive and restore, and I know my son would love growing up around it... but I really can't afford another hobby truck (already have a rock crawler toy). I have been weighing everything out quite a bit lately and it just doesn't make sense for me to buy it. The primary use of the truck would be to haul my toy to and from off-road parks. The amount of work it would take to make it able to do this would take years and way more than I can justify spending.
If anyone is interested in purchasing the wc63 that I was looking at, drop me a PM and I would be glad to put you into contact with the seller the best I can. It is in Abilene, Texas. I wish I could save her, but I just can't right now...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks