• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC63 running but scrapped!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Got a call from a Motor Carrier Compliance Officer today for a Class B CDL driver to either impound a truck or deliver the load.
The request was strange enough to peak my interest so I snatched up a driver and we headed out...about 2 miles away.

Upon arrival...met a 72yr old man and his wife...both sweet as can be and the MCCD Officer calmly explaining what codes/laws they had broken..won't get into that:shock:

Did I mention the poor ole feller only had one eye?

Anyway...he had a 1952 Ford firetruck loaded on an old flatbed truck...with a Jaguar chained on top of that along with the front half of a chevy pickup in front of that!aua

Sorry...no pics...it was a combat rollout...no camera.:oops::oops:

Anyhoo...while the MCCD Officer was doing his paperwork, I started chatting with the ole couple and ask them what they did.
Answer was...run a junk yard down around Richland, Georgia.
I asked...ever get any military vehicles?
Answer...sometimes...just scrapped one last week.

Don't know why...but alarm bells went off in my head and I asked the feller to describe it...he did...I said did it have a winch on the front? He said yup! Used the winch ta pull my tractor outta the mud a few times and that 6 wheeled rascal would go anywhere!

I got my U.S. Military Vehicles Field Guide (David Doyle) outta my truck and ask him to point it out...he looked and stopped and pointed to the WC63 on page 122!!:shock::shock:

Then the old feller said...it ran purty good and would drive around the junkyard just fine but the brakes didn't work too good and it didn't have all that cloth top and stuff but the rest was there!

I asked him how much he got at the scrapper...he said well...don't know exactly how much that truck was cause I had some other stuff too. Best I remember...I got almost a thousand dollars all together.:(

He has my card and has promised to call if he sees anything that even LOOKS military!

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You either need to take your meds or take anger management classes. I can't believe you poked his eye out for scrapping an MV!.:shock:

OD_Animal

Some people just dont appreicate the finer things in life... at least now he will hopefully contact you before he scraps anymore MVs. Thanks to you perhaps a few can be saved in the future.

Flyingvan911

Ouch. I guess to guys outside the hobby, an old army truck is just that. They don't realize the real value in them. He could have sold it for a heap of cash. Good work for spreading the word to maybe save a few MV's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks