• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Website issues

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those who would like to know more. Here is what I found. The SS domain expired at around 04:15UTC on the 4th (that's 11:15PM EST). Next year it will do the same thing and before you blame the admin it isn't always under their control. I built DNS servers and setup domains for 12 years before coming here and you would be amazed at some of the crap that happens upstream that the admin has NO control over.

When the domain expired it was "parked" on temporary servers and promptly started offering up the ads we so liked seeing yesterday while Patracy fielded complaints. In addition to the temporary parking my system was injected with a Javascript redirect piece of malware. Did I prove where it came from? No, but since it has SS embedded inside the script and it was downloaded when I first got up and hit the SS website at around 04:30AM EST I'll let you be the judge. My guess is that since they thought parking was a good idea they probably thought putting redirecting malware on your computer was okay as well.

I was on two other websites at around the same time but amazingly enough only the "parked" SS site produced a script with the SS site name embedded in it. Coincidence? Sure and I believe in the tooth fairy too........

For those who didn't see it here is a screen shot of the ads and the second image is of my Comodo security software log showing the malware script and location. I would like to know if anyone else saw the infection.

Capture1.jpgCapture.jpg

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
For those who didn't see it here is a screen shot of the ads and the second image is of my Comodo security software log showing the malware script and location. I would like to know if anyone else saw the infection.
I got the same thing. MSE caught/removed it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For those who would like to know more. Here is what I found. The SS domain expired at around 04:15UTC on the 4th (that's 11:15PM EST). Next year it will do the same thing and before you blame the admin it isn't always under their control. I built DNS servers and setup domains for 12 years before coming here and you would be amazed at some of the crap that happens upstream that the admin has NO control over.

When the domain expired it was "parked" on temporary servers and promptly started offering up the ads we so liked seeing yesterday while Patracy fielded complaints. In addition to the temporary parking my system was injected with a Javascript redirect piece of malware. Did I prove where it came from? No, but since it has SS embedded inside the script and it was downloaded when I first got up and hit the SS website at around 04:30AM EST I'll let you be the judge. My guess is that since they thought parking was a good idea they probably thought putting redirecting malware on your computer was okay as well.

I was on two other websites at around the same time but amazingly enough only the "parked" SS site produced a script with the SS site name embedded in it. Coincidence? Sure and I believe in the tooth fairy too........

View attachment 408475View attachment 408476
We're going to keep on the service provider to get the domain parked for longer than a year. But that's in Chris' court to deal with.

I did find that the parking domain was notoriously known for malware. (Unfortunately I don't have the link with me at work but I recall it started with cdn. )

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you kidding me? I feel better just knowing that it wasn't a coincidence that I got malware................... Yippee!!!

Why yes, I AM easily entertained.

;-)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The Ga Rally website (www.steelsoldiersgeorgiarally.com) is still being redirected.

It's hosted on the SS server, so it must be related.

pa, can you look into this?

C

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
While you're checking stuff, will ya check on the status of the "mind meld" Mangus and I were working on?

I see no need to punch on keys when I can just think what I want the puter to do...Let's get modern here.
I have evaluated the request. Unfortunately the result of the inquiry have found that the process will not work due to user end latency issues.

:mrgreen:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Fine then!! I was only latency ONCE in my entire life.... in Germany!!
That's the last time I'll ask for "temporal" assistance around here!!

I'm experiencing extreme cognitive dissonance:papabear:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks