• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weigh Stations

bottleworks

When I go pick up the Deuce, The shortest path home is I-85 North the whole way. But what's the deal with weigh stations? Do I have to stop at them? Is there a good chance of DMV pulling me over for not stopping even if I don't have too? :( I won't be pulling anything of have anything in the bed.

Low-Tech-Redneck

I don't think you have to stop for them if you're not subject to CDL/ICC/DOT regulations, which you shouldn't be if you're not doing any commercial hauling.

I'd place a quick call to the state DOT and ask them, just to be safe, but I"m almost certain you don't have to stop, I blow past them in Uhauls and nobody says anything.

JRBAMATEX

I don't stop at them. I am not performing commercial work and my GVWR is not over 26K lbs. So I really don't think it is an issue. I blew right by them from Atlanta to Dallas on I-20 and didn't even raise an eyebrow. Heck I wouldn't know what to do if I did stop at one. I'd feel awful goofy (goofyer n usual) if I stopped at one and they were like "what the heck are you doing!" Or even worse if they decided to start messing with me because I wasn't tagged yet and had all kinds of weird SF97 paperwork with me that they might not be familiar with. Or what if they were like "hey where's your log book?" Uhhhh.. at the office?

I'm with Katch1. Get a good hair cut put on your cover and look like a soldier on official business...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are not doing commercial interstate hauling, don't worry about it. Even if you do pull in, they'll most likely just let you go by.
I got a DOT # last year for some interstate deliveries for a customer and stopped at all weigh stations, but was always flagged on. For that, I had to have a medical card and a log book (which I keep anyway) to show that I didn't drive more than 11 hours/day.

Attachments

rmgill

I rolled through a weigh station, they stopped me. Not to check me for regulatory compliance, but rather because I had a nice rig and a neat trailer load in the form of a WWII armored car. They were nice and it gave me a chance to walk around the truck and check the binders, check the tires and bearing temperatures while I chatted with them. Figured it was good to get a few faces and associated that way down the road, they might see me and remember me and take a kinder perspective.

For my trip, the 4 LEOs I saw were just interested in chatting.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my experience if you stop you are asking for it. The military blows them as a matter of course.

Here in Az my trucks are exempt from all commercial requirements, I've never been chased down and have driven in every state around here for years.

Don't be silly, get the thing plated as a historic vehicle and use all the exemptions from anything commercial you can.

dg

Jones

Same here. I've been waved out of line with a "what's the matter, you lost?" look. Since it's not a commercial rig and obviously well maintained, they don't seem to get excited. They're mostly on the lookout for rigs that are in dangerous condition or are a hazard to navigation. Was once told by a CHP officer that the opinion amongst law enforcement types is that some of the best running, safest vehicles are restored classics.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've driven deuces all over the east coast and even piggybacking other deuces. Blown by every weight station so far. Not a problem yet!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've wondered what they will do when i go flying by with my M52 and M127 flat bed trailor. I'm thinking of painting "not for hire" where the unit numbers would normally go.

Desert Rat

I was stopped once in KY for going by a scale. Since I was on a private move, not-for-hire, under 26K and going slower than 55 mph I told the cop he was not legal in stopping me or my ex-wife. I also told him to go and apologize to her as well. She gave him a bit of her hispanic attitude. He came back to me and said he understood why she was my ex and to get down the road. I told him he had to help me put my son's toys back in the transportable shelter since he wanted to look at all of DM's stuff to see if I had contraband. I really enjoyed humiliating him. He deserved it.

rmgill

Under federal law, you could have a 35,000 lb truck and be legal to drive with out a CDL, you just need a class B or A license to cover the weight. Federal law might give you a pass, but state laws might require that you stop in the weigh stations. I'll keep stopping in the weigh stations, because I know the federal DOT guys will give me a pass. The state DOT guys have to leave me be because I'm covered by interstate agreements on non-commercial vehicles.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
when i had my m52 in cal. i never stoped at a weigh station, never a problem

Red Neck

I hate to be different, but in my state the sign states "All trucks and buses must stop at weigh station", so if you blowby and they stop you, it would just be one more fine. CDL and what you use it for don't apply. (You can still overload the truck with your own firewood.) If its empty, it would depend on what mood they are in and if they assumed you are active military, which would be one of the exempt vehicles.

Low-Tech-Redneck

I've seen those signs at other weigh stations too, but I still think you're exempt unless your over the weight limit or hauling commercialy, otherwise, every single pickup would have to stop too, since it says "truck" on the lisence plate.

Truck in that sense is just a colloquial way of warning you, truck or not, if the law doesn't apply to you, they can't do anything to you for blowing the station.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks