• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weight change in doing a axle swap?

scratch

I have been thinking about an axle swap on my 68' m101a1 for a while now. If I was do do the axle swap and remove the front landing leg, remove the pindle hook and change it to a ball and hitch, does any one know how much lighter it would be? I would like to know what the axle weights, what the tires and wheels weight. and what the front landing leg and pendle hook set up weighs. Thanks

2013-03-13_13-49-30_643.jpg2013-03-13_15-21-26_557.jpg

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say 200 to 300 LBS. more or less , for the axle weight , tires would save a lot of weight . What about the brakes , are you putting brakes back on ? if not then , add about another 150 LBS. or so to the total . As for the hitch depends how much metal you add to put a hitch and landing leg back on . I would guesstimate about 400-500 LBS for all total .

scratch

I would say 200 to 300 LBS. more or less , for the axle weight , tires would save a lot of weight . What about the brakes , are you putting brakes back on ? if not then , add about another 150 LBS. or so to the total . As for the hitch depends how much metal you add to put a hitch and landing leg back on . I would guesstimate about 400-500 LBS for all total .
this is before adding new axle and everthing right?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YA , as I said just a guess , but the wheels ,brakes , hitch and landing lag are HEAVY . BTW , I would post the wheels ,backing plates and drums on the G741 site , The drums and wheels are the same as a M37 . bob k