• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

weight limit for 5-ton axle

Hooty481

I am thinnking of build a single axel 5-ton tractor and was wondering what the actualy weight limit was for one of these axles. Up here in Kentucky we haul alot of cattle and I was wanting to shorten a truck to make it easier to get in and out of feed lots. Would the 5-ton axle be strong enough?

Barron

Just going by what the data plate says on the M923A1 empty weights on the rear axles is 5995, and loaded is 10995, or 5,000 pounds each.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2cents When figuring an axle's capacity, it's not just the structural capacity of the AXLE ASSEMBLY but also the SUSPENSION: Springs, AirBag(s), SwayBars, etc. that MUST be considered. I presume that you will be changing that "rigging" also. 2cents

BRAKE DESIGN and potential is also a CRITICAL Factor.

Hooty481

yes I would be changing the rigging. unsure yet of wether to use spings or air bags. I dont think the brakes would be a big problem. it would be nice to have an airbrake axel but i wouldnt have to

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DOT doesn't care about the structural integrity of things. They will only look at the tire loading. Here, you get 550#'s/ inch of tire size. On the steering, you get 600#/ inch. So on one 10.00x20, you get 5500#'s . They also don't care here, about what the pound rating on the tire. They just go by inches, and tire width.

spicergear

This is gonna jump into the other hauling thread really quickly. :mrgreen:

80,000 is the truck + trailer + cargo weight combined and rolling down the road on 5 axles.

timothy1

80k is
12000 front axle
34000 on the truck tandems (17k each axle)
34000 on trailer axles (17k each axle)
Thats how you get 80k

I haul for a living and have a heavy haul truck with drop axle and stinger trailer. Now that's all new ball game on weights and permits.

timothy1

80k is
12000 front axle
34000 on the truck tandems (17k each axle)
34000 on trailer axles (17k each axle)
Thats how you get 80k

I haul for a living and have a heavy haul truck with drop axle and stinger trailer. Now that's all new ball game on weights and permits as I can haul 150k legal. But its costly due to permits.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I hauled my 30,000lb John Deere 120C excavator behind my 5 ton on my 8,000lb gooseneck trailer. (40k GN hitch) and the truck didnt even sag one bit. I mean look at the spring pack.

Attachments

Bighurt

would anyone feel comfortable putting 40,000 on one rear 5-ton axle
Nope, and neither would the DOT as previously mentioned.

Bridge formula's typically limit axle loading to 20k, or 34k in tandem unless the axle spread is greater than 96". It's pretty complicated and I don't deal in it at all in my line of work. Just limited knowledge, Timothy obviously knows more.

But quick question are you talking about 40k in pin weight or total trailer weight?

Last edited:

jdknech

have you used a 5 ton tractor with its stock setup? I have a M932A1 that has the super singles and winch. I pull a 40' inclosed trailer, and I don't have much of a problem getting it where I need it.
the truck doesn't turn very sharp though, but thats because of the live front axle.. you can't cut the frame to make it shorter because the trailer already doesn't clear the cab by much..
also the military 5th wheel sets up higher, and you would have to have the ramps to get the trailer hooked up, unless you went with a civy hitch, then you could move the hitch back, and shorten it by 1 1/2- 2 feet..
plus with a heavy trailer, you will WANT/NEED the 6x6 if you are off-road much at all...

in short- I dont think I would trust one cut down to a single axle.. just my 2cents

edit* I just read your sig, and see that you have had a M818, and have a M915..

Last edited:

l3oss

A friend of mine got himself an axeltech 4000 to go under his superduty and now he has a chip on his shoulder the size of Texas and it’s getting bigger with each day that passes. I asked him why he didn’t just get 5ton diffs. His reply was that his AT4000 is a 9ton diff. My reply to that was that 5ton diffs capacity is much higher then 5ton. He doesn’t wanna hear it. And according to him my M923a2 and all other 5ton 900s come with 2.5tons under them... anyways.... I don’t profess to know it all and I’m fine with that. Can any members give any knowledgeable info with regards to the compairison between the 5ton Rockwell & Axeltech 4000. Ide really like to shut him the F up! 😂Thanks

red

A friend of mine got himself an axeltech 4000 to go under his superduty and now he has a chip on his shoulder the size of Texas and it’s getting bigger with each day that passes. I asked him why he didn’t just get 5ton diffs. His reply was that his AT4000 is a 9ton diff. My reply to that was that 5ton diffs capacity is much higher then 5ton. He doesn’t wanna hear it. And according to him my M923a2 and all other 5ton 900s come with 2.5tons under them... anyways.... I don’t profess to know it all and I’m fine with that. Can any members give any knowledgeable info with regards to the compairison between the 5ton Rockwell & Axeltech 4000. Ide really like to shut him the F up! Thanks
Contact Meritor (the manufacturer) for the official information. The AT4000 non steering axle is 22k pounds, Rockwell is 44k pounds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks