• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weight Limit

tklm539

Quick question. I need to go and get 4 pallets of slate today. My deuce is singled out with 11x20's. It will all be on the road and mild hills.

How much weight is safe and not overloaded

Thanks
Tom

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The data plate says 10,000 pounds on the road. I am sure it would handle more, but you might consider sticking to its intended limits. I've hauled 10,000 pounds of stone with a deuce and it drove/stopped fine. The limiting factor, as others have said, will be your ability to stop. Check the sidewall of the tire for the max load limit.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In this state, DOT allows what is on the tire, or 550#'s per inch of tire. So 11(550)(2) = 12,100#/axle. You get a lot more weight when you have duals - up to 38.000# per tandem group. But then, you wouldn't have to worry about stopping, because I don't think it would move. The quarry should be able to tell you about how much those pallets of stone weigh.

Lee in Alaska

alphadeltaromeo

I've had about 16k of clay...stopping is a concern, just don't go too fast. One other thought, it'll ride better than a caddy when you load it up.

ygmir

yeah, add the load limit for the tires, subtract the vehicle weight, and, maybe stay under that 20% or so.......
A blowout with a big load is a bummer.......ask me how I know..........
I've had 8 ton on an M35 for a short, smooth distance, just a few miles.......it's wasn't happy, but, it did it......
I just applied the brakes before I left, so, I could stop in time..........
good luck,
Henry

rmgill

10,000 lbs is the weight limit on the chassis and design. The tires will carry more weight when dualed BUT if you have a tire failure you're probably going to loose the other tire. Pay attention to tire inflation and temperatures. I personally would rather go with a 10,000 load and take two trips. Getting into an accident could also mean that stone will be joining you in the cab.

tjcouch

Slightly off topic . . . . but the improvement in the ride of the truck that I have noticed with some weight in the back has got me thinking . . . .

Has anyone but "ballast tanks" in the back? I am thinking about scrounging up an old waterbed mattress (softside bladder.) That's 190 gallons * 8.33 lbs. = about 1,600 lbs of weight that can easily be drained and rolled up when you need the room for cargo.

Will 1.6K lbs even be noticeable?

Thoughts?

BTW - it is now the day after - how did the slate haul go?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are three ways to "Overload" a truck. Overload the axles, the gross, or the bridge weight. DOT doesn't care what the Army said their weight limit is on a particular truck. Loading the truck is always a compromise, under existing conditions that you have at the moment.

Conservative States use 34,000# per tandem group & 10,000# per single axle OR what the tire size is, ie., 550# per inch of tire. With each truck, some of the loading procedures come from "trial & error". How the truck handles the weight, generally depends on how its loaded, where, and tire pressure. TP is a compromise too. On these under-powered MV's TP is really important. If you have a Max load, you need Max TP, but the truck will handle like an over inflated basket ball, empty.

Like on a Deuce where you have a mid-point suspension between the rear axles, its real important to balance the load over that point, or just slightly ahead, or you might not have proper weight on the steering. If you have a max load, but not max TP, you can loose a whole gear on the highway - the truck won't pull it with soft tires & you'll have excessive wear on them.

Lee in Alaska

tklm539

Update,

I ran the deuce from 6:30am till 5:00 pm today. This is the first time I have really used it. About 60 mile round trip to the quarry. Made five loads each weighing in around 10,000#. Truck responded very well. Yes, stopping was much slower. I did have on load at 12,000#, I was not paying attention as they dumped it. The truck did fine, but was clearly not enjoying the hills.

All and all a very good day. Lots of old timer's waving along the route and questions when I stopped for fuel. Only bad part of the day was shoveling out each load.

Thanks for the help

Tom

And no I do not have any pictures, so dont do it!!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rosco said:
Conservative States use 34,000# per tandem group & 10,000# per single axle OR what the tire size is, ie., 550# per inch of tire.

Lee in Alaska
In TN you are allowed 20,000# on a single axle (12,000# on front steer axle). They will also look at the weight limit on the data plate. Every truck has them but on civilain models they are usually on the inside of the door frame. Reason I know this is because a friend of mine got a ticket for 13,000# on a Ford F350. He had 16,000# tags on the truck and was well under the axle limit but the GVW as stated on the "data plate" said 11,000#. In the State's eyes he was 2,000# overweight.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes - I was thinking of the steering axle. Its 20,000# for single axle with duals. Lots of States are different. They are really pretty liberal here, still!.

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks