• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weight of a 5 ton winch

area52

Anyone know the weight of a 5 ton winch with cable? I won one at Ft.Bragg and trying to get estimates on shipping it back to NM.

thanks

redass73

i have a 20k garwood off of my m816 . our 753 bobcat didnt want a whole lot to do with it.. i did pull it complete ..winch,cable,guide rollers,level winder and all brackets.. i guessed it at around 800 lbs. i cant slide it across the shop floor by hand

dma251

According to the manual TM 9-2320-260-10 the front winch adds 665 lbs to the weight of a M813A1. That would include the winch, extensions, pto, lever/linkage, and driveshaft.

I just put one on my truck and that sounds about right. The PTO weights around 25 lbs, and the driveshaft, lever, and bumper extensions probably total around 100 lbs, so I suppose the winch itself is probably right around 500-550 lbs.

jwaller

thats cool. I wanted to bid on that one but had to leave for work. I dont suppose you want to sell the leve wind part do you?

OpieNoTool

redass73 said:
i have a 20k garwood off of my m816 . our 753 bobcat didnt want a whole lot to do with it.. i did pull it complete ..winch,cable,guide rollers,level winder and all brackets.. i guessed it at around 800 lbs. i cant slide it across the shop floor by hand
Are you looking to sell it?

area52

winch

jwaller said:
thats cool. I wanted to bid on that one but had to leave for work. I dont suppose you want to sell the leve wind part do you?
I doubt it, depends on whether or not I get this M246 I am looking at buying. the guy that owns it is "thinking it over" now. If the deal falls through, I will let you know.

yorkgulch2

RE: winch

What does level wind look like? Assume that makes it eaiser to wind in especially when you have no help. I have been thinking about putting a 5 ton on the back or at the front of the bed on my m35.

Level Wind

You ask what a level wind looks like, see below. They are neat pieces, they allow you to keep the rope wound properly, by using the tensioner and the winde. They are not without issues, but still worth the effort and the weight. I estimate the winder and the tensioner add 80 to 100 pounds to the winch assembly.

Attachments

area52

RE: Level Wind

To answer my own question, I got my winch delivered today. I put down 500lbs as a guess on the weight. The shipping company weighed it and the winch plus cable, level wind and pallet/crate equals 1390 lbs!! :shock: Geuss I didn't estimate it too good!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks