• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

weight of a dropside bed

area52

Anyone know offhand of the weight of a dropside bed, with no troop seats?

Whats the best way to lift one if its on the ground?

I found one sitting in a field down the road from me( I drive by it everyday and just now noticed it!). I was gonna call the oil company that owns the equipment and see if they will sell it to me. I am trying to figure out how I can get it home and put it on my M200A1 trailer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fixed side bed weights right at 2000#. I'd add 200# for insurance so 2200#. Need 10 very strong buddies or mechanical advantage. I was able to lift up the nose of an M146 seli trailer from the ground. It had no landing gear. Did it alone with lots of cribbing/blocks and 2 bottle jacks. Necessity is the mother of invention.

ashrat

I used an engine hoist and 4 empty 55 gallon oil barrels along with some long pipes to get my bed up high enough to get a trailer under it. The engine hoist would pick up one end of the bed. It took lots of moves back and forth to get it up high enough to put it on the trailer. I also had to set it on pallets on the trailer so the edges of the bed would clear the fenders. It can be done, just be carefull.

area52

Thanks for the info. this is sitting in a field so a forktruck is out of the question unless I rent one, and then I might as well get a crane to do it. My work has a "boom truck" sort of like a small crane truck that I might be able to use. I will call the oil company today and see if they are willing to sell it.

I talked to you in september at the truck show . and I have a bed off my m211 that I won't be needing .and a real short lowboy trailer that might be used as a project of some kind ?