• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weight of Hard Top of Slantback

azulrios

Would like to know the weight of the M1025 slantback hardtop with all the turret components removed and with the turret kit intact after disconnecting the main members. Thanks

BLK HMMWV

Confused:
Its a complete 1025 vehicle ?
but has no turret components?
Yet it has a intact turret kit with disconnected main members ? ( what's that ?)

How is anyone going to know that without actually weighing it?
Are you trying to ship one?

Or are you just trying to figure out the weight of a roof

azulrios

Apologies for the confusion.

I own a M1025 that is outfitted with a turret. I have removed everything above the hatch cover so it can fit in the garage.

I want to lift the hard top high enough to insert a new seal above the windshield. I am not aware of what seal (if any) is at the rear of the hard top where it intersects with the slant back.

If the weight is not to much with the turret components (hatch cover and below) in place, I may lift the top as a whole. If there is a great deal of weight reduction, I will shed the components to raise the top to complete the insertion of the seal(s).

I did a quick calculation of a steel plate [ 72" (L) x 86" (W) x 1/4" (T) = 440 lbs ]

Note: I know the steel thickness of the top is not 0.25 thick. Just being conservative.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

BLK HMMWV

Copy
You should be safe with that weight calc. for just the roof with the secondary layer of steel.
You may find that the sealant between the sheet metal roof and the bearing support doesn't allow it to separate very easily if your just trying to lift the sheet metal . What type of hatch is on it?
Does it fold to the side or back?
Is the sheet metal piece the hatch closes against round or does it have two legs that the hatch folds out onto?
there are a bunch of screws and brackets that hold the bearing in place you can't see them from outside without removing that sheet metal.
And your going to have to be able to just lift the sheet metal from bearing support.
Do you store your truck outside of inside?
Now would be a good time to try to make it a little more water tight .
But it requires taking everything apart to try and insure the best seal.
I believe there is a rubber seal at the rear of the roof were it rests on the C pillar tube.

azulrios

Copy
You should be safe with that weight calc. for just the roof with the secondary layer of steel.
You may find that the sealant between the sheet metal roof and the bearing support doesn't allow it to separate very easily if your just trying to lift the sheet metal . What type of hatch is on it?
Does it fold to the side or back?
Is the sheet metal piece the hatch closes against round or does it have two legs that the hatch folds out onto?
there are a bunch of screws and brackets that hold the bearing in place you can't see them from outside without removing that sheet metal.
And your going to have to be able to just lift the sheet metal from bearing support.
Do you store your truck outside of inside?
Now would be a good time to try to make it a little more water tight .
But it requires taking everything apart to try and insure the best seal.
I believe there is a rubber seal at the rear of the roof were it rests on the C pillar tube.
Thanks

I am expecting a few speed bumps taking the top off.

The hatch folds back and has two legs. (Have included a couple of fotos) Generally the HMMWV is stored in the garage.

You are spot on, once I get the top seal in place, I plan on trying to mitigate water ingress (hahaha) at the turret location. I will go with 1/8 inch neoprene sheet where the PS 699 recommends using the inner tub.

I am also changing out the windshield seals and cargo hatch seal plus adding a 1/8 flap at rear of the hard top to overhang the cargo hatch seal.

Doubt that I can get 100% but it will be much better than it is right now.

Thanks again for the advice!!

Attachments

BLK HMMWV

It's a pain but it's worth doing , so just plan on doing it once.
your missing some pieces but it's just more stuff you'd have to take off anyway ( weapons tray)

You'll want to clean up the bearing or replace it in the process if it's not rolling smoothly.

You have about as much room between your HMMWV roof and garage door as I do.
I had to modify my fording exhaust to fit.
I ended up upgrading to a newer style motorized turret awhile ago.
Battery box just makes it under the header.
Went to an aluminum cupola too cause I have to take it on and off in order to garage the thing.

What do you plan on lifting it with?

Once you get the bearing out and all the bolts that sandwich the bearing to the turret support you will probably find there is some adhesive / sealant between the sheet metal roof and turret support.

Make sure you loosen the 5 rubber isolators at the (4) corners and the center back ( C pillar)
If your truck still has the 1" black insulation on it you may have to get a putty knife between it and the turret support to help break the seal .
If the insulation has come unglued or fallen out or delaminated might be a good time to strip it out and scrape off the old adhesive residue.
I made fast work of it with a multi tool with a putty knife like blade on it.

You don't have to lift it much but now's the time to repaint it or clean it up before you reseal everything.
You don't have to lift it much more then a few inches to get to the front and rear seal.
If your trying to do it by yourself you can probably use a couple of floor jacks and blocks of wood from inside the truck.
Just make sure to spread the weight out then use some safety jacks stands so you don't have to worry about the jacks slipping or leaking while your fingers are between anything.

Have fun with it
BH

azulrios

It's a pain but it's worth doing , so just plan on doing it once.
your missing some pieces but it's just more stuff you'd have to take off anyway ( weapons tray)

You'll want to clean up the bearing or replace it in the process if it's not rolling smoothly.

You have about as much room between your HMMWV roof and garage door as I do.
I had to modify my fording exhaust to fit.
I ended up upgrading to a newer style motorized turret awhile ago.
Battery box just makes it under the header.
Went to an aluminum cupola too cause I have to take it on and off in order to garage the thing.

What do you plan on lifting it with?

Once you get the bearing out and all the bolts that sandwich the bearing to the turret support you will probably find there is some adhesive / sealant between the sheet metal roof and turret support.

Make sure you loosen the 5 rubber isolators at the (4) corners and the center back ( C pillar)
If your truck still has the 1" black insulation on it you may have to get a putty knife between it and the turret support to help break the seal .
If the insulation has come unglued or fallen out or delaminated might be a good time to strip it out and scrape off the old adhesive residue.
I made fast work of it with a multi tool with a putty knife like blade on it.

You don't have to lift it much but now's the time to repaint it or clean it up before you reseal everything.
You don't have to lift it much more then a few inches to get to the front and rear seal.
If your trying to do it by yourself you can probably use a couple of floor jacks and blocks of wood from inside the truck.
Just make sure to spread the weight out then use some safety jacks stands so you don't have to worry about the jacks slipping or leaking while your fingers are between anything.

Have fun with it
BH
I just noticed, your HMMWV is black and so is mine.

I have some of the missing parts in my crawl space for now. I took them off awhile back.

Planning to use two (2) - block & tackle to lift the top and install some spacers, if any slippage in the lift. If this gets too complicated, I have the floor jacks on hand. My garage is quite sturdy. Designed for 258 inches of snow!!!

I plan to take it very slow and will be thorough. I will definitely be looking for the little gotchas that you have highlighted. The inside could use a good paint job. If and when I find missing or worn components, I will replace. The is an old saying; "Do it right the first time" to avoid "Never enough time to do it right but always time to do it over"!!!

Thanks again for the guidance and assistance!

Crapgame

I think the M1025 sheet steel roof is about 150lbs alone.
Turret Weapons Station Tray (yours is the A0 to early A2 cat-eared) 25lbs
0.25" Aluminum Plate Turret Hatch 40lbs
Turret Bearings, 20lbs for the natural aluminum colored lightweight A0-early A2; 30lbs for the Black anodized aluminum later A2 bearing.
Likely not applicable but the heavy duty black bearing for armored OGPK are about 60lbs.

Start by removing the Hatch from Turret Weapons Station.

Then unbolt the 3/18-16 bolts holding the cateared Turret Weapons Station to the bearing.

Under that you will find 6 arc shaped pieces, the bearing retainers that bolt thru the bearing outer ring and overlap the sheet steel roof itself. Likely all these pieces are going to be heavily siliconed.

After you remove those 6 bearing retainers/roof trim pieces you can unbolt the bearing itself from the Turret Weapons Support, the 5 point (2 to windshield 2 to B Pillar 1 to C Pillar crossbar) main support structure, both likely to be heavily siliconized, so have a razor blade scraper, putty knife, etc on hand.

The Preventive Maintenance comic books showed a method to set a layer of heavy vinyl like a shower curtain, between those Bearing Retainer Arcs and the Bearing, which will also be heavily siliconized.

There is a rectangular tube shaped seal at the rear of the M10XX sheet steel roof that occupies the space between the roof and C Pillar Crossbar. May want to replace that, too. That may also be heavily siliconized from futile attempts to make the crew compartment water tight.

After you removed the turret, you can unbolt the 4 rubber bushings/snubber plates/threaded rods at the A Pillar and C Pillar that secure the roof to the truck.

That leaves you with the B Pillar Exterior Sheet Metal Covers, there are two 1/4" thread #2 Phillips screws that attach them to the roof assembly. These screws will likely be rusted to the nut welded on the Covers. You should soak those in Liquid Wrench or similar solvent a day or two before you need to remove the roof to replace your Windshield weather seal. There is another bracket inside the B Pillar, bolted to the two aluminum blocks that lock the bent aluminum tubing B Pillar Supports to the lower B Pillar, likely the tiny #10-32 screws that attach it to the aluminum block are rusted or electrolysized in place from the dissimilar metals. That plate has two more screws that attach it to the B Pillar Exterior Sheet Metal Covers, You may be able to remove and reset the M10XX steel sheet roof without removing those two lower screws, I know those bolts were also rusted together on both of my M1025A2s, Liquid Wrench and judicious force were required to unfornicate those.

Scrape all the old silicon off the turret weapons support, bearing, bearing retainers, etc. The extra weather proofing sheet you can use a heavy duty shower curtain or a backyard pond liner type sheet.

Jeff on GearReports did a photo illustrated installation of the turret kit with the weather proofing vinyl sheet added and DamageControlCustoms did a video:

The TM 9-2320-280-20 Volume 3 will have the installation instructions with the correct torque specs for the Turret Installation. Most of the parts are ALUMINUM and will strip if you overtorque or just put a impact wrench on the bolts.

Your purposes, to remove the hatch first, you need page 313 Task 11-42. I went through the 280-20-3 printed out the taskings for the turret removal and install, then I printed out the pertinent Parts diagrams out of the the TM 9-2320-280-24P for the turret associated parts, slipped those between the 280-20-3 installation instructions so I had both the exact breakdown of every tiny part as well as the correct order of operations and torque specs.

Crapgame

You may be able to pop your rear cargo hatch at the top latches so it pivots at the bottom, then have a 2nd person help slide the roof down 2 2x4s placed on top your sponsons. The M10XX roof on my GMV, 2 adults were able to walk it off the cargo bed, but the GMV has no sponsons and the C Pillar and Cargo Rails were not installed yet, otherwise it could have been slid back over the cargo rails out of the way to replace the windshield and C Pillar weather seals.

azulrios

I think the M1025 sheet steel roof is about 150lbs alone.
Turret Weapons Station Tray (yours is the A0 to early A2 cat-eared) 25lbs
0.25" Aluminum Plate Turret Hatch 40lbs
Turret Bearings, 20lbs for the natural aluminum colored lightweight A0-early A2; 30lbs for the Black anodized aluminum later A2 bearing.
Likely not applicable but the heavy duty black bearing for armored OGPK are about 60lbs.

Start by removing the Hatch from Turret Weapons Station.

Then unbolt the 3/18-16 bolts holding the cateared Turret Weapons Station to the bearing.

Under that you will find 6 arc shaped pieces, the bearing retainers that bolt thru the bearing outer ring and overlap the sheet steel roof itself. Likely all these pieces are going to be heavily siliconed.

After you remove those 6 bearing retainers/roof trim pieces you can unbolt the bearing itself from the Turret Weapons Support, the 5 point (2 to windshield 2 to B Pillar 1 to C Pillar crossbar) main support structure, both likely to be heavily siliconized, so have a razor blade scraper, putty knife, etc on hand.

The Preventive Maintenance comic books showed a method to set a layer of heavy vinyl like a shower curtain, between those Bearing Retainer Arcs and the Bearing, which will also be heavily siliconized.

There is a rectangular tube shaped seal at the rear of the M10XX sheet steel roof that occupies the space between the roof and C Pillar Crossbar. May want to replace that, too. That may also be heavily siliconized from futile attempts to make the crew compartment water tight.

After you removed the turret, you can unbolt the 4 rubber bushings/snubber plates/threaded rods at the A Pillar and C Pillar that secure the roof to the truck.

That leaves you with the B Pillar Exterior Sheet Metal Covers, there are two 1/4" thread #2 Phillips screws that attach them to the roof assembly. These screws will likely be rusted to the nut welded on the Covers. You should soak those in Liquid Wrench or similar solvent a day or two before you need to remove the roof to replace your Windshield weather seal. There is another bracket inside the B Pillar, bolted to the two aluminum blocks that lock the bent aluminum tubing B Pillar Supports to the lower B Pillar, likely the tiny #10-32 screws that attach it to the aluminum block are rusted or electrolysized in place from the dissimilar metals. That plate has two more screws that attach it to the B Pillar Exterior Sheet Metal Covers, You may be able to remove and reset the M10XX steel sheet roof without removing those two lower screws, I know those bolts were also rusted together on both of my M1025A2s, Liquid Wrench and judicious force were required to unfornicate those.

Scrape all the old silicon off the turret weapons support, bearing, bearing retainers, etc. The extra weather proofing sheet you can use a heavy duty shower curtain or a backyard pond liner type sheet.

Jeff on GearReports did a photo illustrated installation of the turret kit with the weather proofing vinyl sheet added and DamageControlCustoms did a video:

The TM 9-2320-280-20 Volume 3 will have the installation instructions with the correct torque specs for the Turret Installation. Most of the parts are ALUMINUM and will strip if you overtorque or just put a impact wrench on the bolts.

Your purposes, to remove the hatch first, you need page 313 Task 11-42. I went through the 280-20-3 printed out the taskings for the turret removal and install, then I printed out the pertinent Parts diagrams out of the the TM 9-2320-280-24P for the turret associated parts, slipped those between the 280-20-3 installation instructions so I had both the exact breakdown of every tiny part as well as the correct order of operations and torque specs.
Thanks so much for your time and effort!! Great guidance write-up.

I have received all the seals for; top, turret and windshield. Have printed out all the pertinent TMs (Parts & Maintenance). Will go through the videos also so I have a good understanding of the sequencing.

I did not order the rubber bushings so I better get these ordered!!! I will have to replace most of the bolts and nuts since these are very corroded. I keep my torque close at hand to avoid over-torquing. (Impact will stay in the tool box!!)

I am a little confused on one of the seals. (I have attached a sketch and put a red cloud around the area that I do not understand)

For lifting the top, I will use block & tackle since my nephew is not around to help me.

Plan to start the work late next week as I have a bunch of "honey do's" to sort out with the wife!!

Thanks again and will keep you posted should I run into some unknowns.

Regards,

Attachments

Crapgame

Thanks so much for your time and effort!! Great guidance write-up.

I have received all the seals for; top, turret and windshield. Have printed out all the pertinent TMs (Parts & Maintenance). Will go through the videos also so I have a good understanding of the sequencing.

I did not order the rubber bushings so I better get these ordered!!! I will have to replace most of the bolts and nuts since these are very corroded. I keep my torque close at hand to avoid over-torquing. (Impact will stay in the tool box!!)

I am a little confused on one of the seals. (I have attached a sketch and put a red cloud around the area that I do not understand)

For lifting the top, I will use block & tackle since my nephew is not around to help me.

Plan to start the work late next week as I have a bunch of "honey do's" to sort out with the wife!!

Thanks again and will keep you posted should I run into some unknowns.

Regards,
Shouldn't there be Two of those #7 gasket seals? They should fit into a recess turned into the bearing housing on the top and bottom, the round shaped seal should stretch over the bearing housing then spring back into the recess groove to provide weather resistance (not proof, nothing is "waterproof" on the slants)

azulrios

Shouldn't there be Two of those #7 gasket seals? They should fit into a recess turned into the bearing housing on the top and bottom, the round shaped seal should stretch over the bearing housing then spring back into the recess groove to provide weather resistance (not proof, nothing is "waterproof" on the slants)
Thanks

I have the gaskets now. I have dis-assembled down to the bearing. The retainers were very rusty and deeply corroded. Most of the bolts are are also corroded. Will need to changeout a number of the items!!

Tons of sealant to remove!!!!

azulrios

Thanks

I have the gaskets now. I have dis-assembled down to the bearing. The retainers were very rusty and deeply corroded. Most of the bolts are are also corroded. Will need to changeout a number of the items!!

Tons of sealant to remove!!!!
Have removed the bearing (no existing gaskets!!!) but with a great deal of effort as there was sealant everywhere. Took a while to lift the top due to sealant!! Bearing rotates reasonably well with no dragging. Have lifted the top with block & tackle (at each end). Will drive HMMWV out from under the top so I can replace windshields / seals, and cargo hatch seal. Existing seals were flexible but very worn. Will flip the top to touchup paint and apply sealant where the two hales join.

Hopefully, I will be able to start the weather sealing Thursday / Friday!!

azulrios

Gents,

Have stripped everything out, tons of sealant and rust. All scraped, sand and painted. The block and tackle (2X) worked well. The new rubber and snubbers in place. Roof is back on. Getting ready to start re-assembly turret plus weather resistant activities based on comments above (wish it would be weatherproof!!!) Have also added the flap on rear top to mitigate water ingress on top hatch cover (new hatch seal installed).

Would like to thank all for the guidance!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks