• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weight of M1010 ambulance body

sokoji

Doing alittle research on a possible swap I was kicking around. Thinking of getting a m1010 ambulance body and putting it on my 3/4 ton 2nd gen cummins extended cab. I'm thinking the gvwr might be to close with body so I was wondering if anyone know the weight of one that has been stripped down. Looking to make a expedition/camper vehicle. Thanks

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's steel framed and aluminum skin.

You can get a rough idea by looking at the curb weight of the M1010 vs the M1008

M1010

Curb Weight7370 lbs

M1008
Curb Weight (Total)5900 lbs (2679 kg) distributed 55% front/45% rear

If we assume a truck bed weighs about 500 lbs, that would bring the weight of an M1008 down to about 5400 lbs... so, the difference between the 2 curb weights is the weight of the box... Roughly speaking.. So 7370 - 5400 = 1970

So, spitballing it, I'd say a hair under a ton.

If the box is stripped, removing the benches, GPFU, etc then you might lose another 100 lbs or so, if that, because the benches are aluminum. Most of that weight would be from the GPFU.

chevymike

If I recall, the AC box part is 200 lbs, so if you remove that, that knocks some weight off, especially from a high point.

That said, when I had to weigh my M1010 to get it registered in CA, it came out to 6300 lbs with a half tank of fuel. I used to own a '97 Cummins powered, extended cab, long bed, 4x4 Ram with a FWC popup camper. Fully loaded with me in it, it was at 8300 lbs with a GVW of 8800 lbs. The camper weighed about 1500 lbs. The M1010 has a GVW of 9900 lbs. I have been thinking of the similar idea but looking at 1 ton (3500 series) or even possible into the 4500 series of cab and chassis type trucks. I think a 3/4 ton is likely reaching the limits with a M1010 box, not counting anything you plan to put into it. My Ram without the camper was 6800 lbs which surprised me that the M1010 weighed less but that Cummins is a heavy SOB!

sokoji

It's steel framed and aluminum skin.

You can get a rough idea by looking at the curb weight of the M1010 vs the M1008

M1010

Curb Weight7370 lbs

M1008
Curb Weight (Total)5900 lbs (2679 kg) distributed 55% front/45% rear

If we assume a truck bed weighs about 500 lbs, that would bring the weight of an M1008 down to about 5400 lbs... so, the difference between the 2 curb weights is the weight of the box... Roughly speaking.. So 7370 - 5400 = 1970

So, spitballing it, I'd say a hair under a ton.

If the box is stripped, removing the benches, GPFU, etc then you might lose another 100 lbs or so, if that, because the benches are aluminum. Most of that weight would be from the GPFU.

Thanks for the in depth reply, those were about the numbers I had com up with as well, I was hoping that removing the the ac, heater and benches would bet more of a loss. Looks like I'll be 1k under the gross vehicle weight, cutting it alittle close.

sokoji

If I recall, the AC box part is 200 lbs, so if you remove that, that knocks some weight off, especially from a high point.

That said, when I had to weigh my M1010 to get it registered in CA, it came out to 6300 lbs with a half tank of fuel. I used to own a '97 Cummins powered, extended cab, long bed, 4x4 Ram with a FWC popup camper. Fully loaded with me in it, it was at 8300 lbs with a GVW of 8800 lbs. The camper weighed about 1500 lbs. The M1010 has a GVW of 9900 lbs. I have been thinking of the similar idea but looking at 1 ton (3500 series) or even possible into the 4500 series of cab and chassis type trucks. I think a 3/4 ton is likely reaching the limits with a M1010 box, not counting anything you plan to put into it. My Ram without the camper was 6800 lbs which surprised me that the M1010 weighed less but that Cummins is a heavy SOB!

Yeah that's what it's kinda looking like, I weighed the truck at the dump with me in it and a full tank of diesel I was at about 6500 pounds. So if I say the existing bed is 500 that would put me at 8k with the ambulance body on. The gvwr of the truck is 8800. If I could shed 400-500 pounds off the body it could be doable. Yeah the cummins is a heavy pig but I sure love how reliable and easy to work on they are.

chevymike

Yeah that's what it's kinda looking like, I weighed the truck at the dump with me in it and a full tank of diesel I was at about 6500 pounds. So if I say the existing bed is 500 that would put me at 8k with the ambulance body on. The gvwr of the truck is 8800. If I could shed 400-500 pounds off the body it could be doable. Yeah the cummins is a heavy pig but I sure love how reliable and easy to work on they are.
Yeah, I miss my Cummins.....

cucvrus

They can't be that rare. I had 7 of them over the years. Only ever sold 1 intact. The rest were electrical nightmares. I have 4 of the M1010 bodies in my back Yard. They need to be rehomed real soon. Next Spring the axe falls. They are leaving one way of another. Cleaning up the yard and making a huge change. Come East and reap the harvest.

FrankenCub

They can't be that rare. I had 7 of them over the years. Only ever sold 1 intact. The rest were electrical nightmares. I have 4 of the M1010 bodies in my back Yard. They need to be rehomed real soon. Next Spring the axe falls. They are leaving one way of another. Cleaning up the yard and making a huge change. Come East and reap the harvest.
Just out of curiosity, how much you looking to get for one?

FrankenCub

In the spring time we will talk about it. Are you interested in an S280 shelter. I have one of them also I want to eliminate in Spring 2021.
Looking to replace the box on my m1008, it's shot. Was looking for a contact maintenance body but the prices have gone above what I can afford.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks