• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weight restrictions crushing Dreams?

WildWolfman

Driving from So Cal. to Texas this December, just getting all my ducks in a row before the move, figured this would be the best place to ask my question, here it goes!

I know in california with 3 axles my weight cant go over 6k lbs, and with 2 axles I can't go 26k lbs.

what about Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas?

I am using the 1989 M35A2C (AF deuce) to move my house hold goods ( 2 bedroom sets, tools and odds and ends) Think I can do it with a simple Class C?
and if not with 3 axles, is it possible to just disconnect the rear axle and take off the tires to make it a 2 axle?

would that make it unstable/ damaging to the truck?

future plans for the truck is to have the regular drop bed, a dump bed and a water tank bed go on ( interchangeable ), so I will want 3 axles in the future.

any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are non-commercial you don't have to stop at weigh stations.
There are occasions where the DOT of individual states will set up inspection stations and require all trucks and vehicles with trailers to stop.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you have it exactly right. In most States, you get 550#'s / inch of tire. That will apply to your steering axle, times two tires. You get 34,00#'s (in Calif.) for a tandem group - or 550#'s/ tire (times eight), which ever is more conservative. So the way I get it, your good for just under 22 tons (44,000).

From my experience, with house hold goods, they don't make ladders tall enough, to stack the stuff high enough, to get to an overload with a Deuce & its 12' bed. California has some goofy license plate regs. There is endless debate here, as to which license you need. Check with the CHP's.

But when ready, I would go for it (on the back roads, that don't have scales. If you get stopped, be sure to tell them, it is just your own personal house hold goods, and that you are not for hire. That is usually always exempt from commercial fees. And most importantly, that you are in the military, just trying to move. Thanks for the Service. Don't even think about disconnecting anything from that rear axle.

Good Luck

Lee in Alaska

WildWolfman

Thanks for the posts so far. I am going to lic. the truck thru Texas. as for loading it, I have tons of cardboard boxes and pallets, have a Buddie with a fork lift to load and a tractor with forks at my Destination.

I understand that I don't want to chain up the axle, so no worries there. I have a m-105 trailer that I might tow as well. will that effect limits? I plan on taking 40 all the way to Texas, spending the night in New Mexico. Not sure what back roads to take, guess I am getting a GPS!

thanks again and, Keep info Coming!

PS, what does #'s = ? sorry, new to big trucks all together.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where in SOCAL are you? I drive my deuce 2-3 times a week up and down the I15 and around and get nothing but waves from the Leos. Drive safely and defensively. Act like driving a deuce on a CA road is a privlege and don't do anything aggresive no matter how bad the twit in the lifted H3 cuts you off and you'll be fine.:-D

WildWolfman

I am about 30 mins north of Edwards, so I will be in california for about 5 hours at most, plan on leaving early to make sure I get to Albuquerque, NM before its to late, trying to stay on base, less worries as far as security. Not only safer, but exactly half way to my Destination.

Thanks all

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce is rated at 10,000 pounds of cargo on improved roads, and the 105 trailer is rated at 5,000-6,000 pounds on the same roads. Moving household goods, you will be out of room long before you are overweight. You will not be fast, but you can do it!

When I moved from NC to GA I was overloaded by about 1,000 lbs. (had my M105 strapped down in the back and all my spare tires and excess gear.) It weighed in at 11,000 and I was towing my M1009. The only Leo that stopped me wanted to know if he could take a picture with my trucks. If you have your orders (Just to show you are leaving state) Mil ID and a good additude even if you are stopped they will just send you on your way.

area52

I drove a deuce from Hesperia CA to Aztec NM a few years ago. Its gonna take you a long time just to get to NM from Edwards AFB. My truck had no load what so ever and it took me almost two full days to get here. With your load, it will be even longer. I did not stop at the weight stations and had no problems with the police at all.

Good luck.

WildWolfman

Sounds good, thanks for the inputs, making me feel more comfortable now, sounds like it will take a little longer than expected.

Thanks again

Steve

PS. since its in December, any heating suggestions?

Last edited:

hoopsoft

hopefully you have a cargo cover to look more "official" they may be less likely to stop also, if you don't look like sanford and son.

area52

As far as heating goes, just open the master cylinder inspection door on the floor and that will keep you warm!:-D

The only place you will probably be cold is in Flagstaff AZ when you go up the big hill and thats only like about 4-5 hours so just dress warm.

waayfast

On Interstates you are legal to 12,000lbs on the steer--and 34,000lbs on a tandem set,so you're VERY unlikely to be "heavy" going across weigh station scales (thus drawing attention to your self)

The BIG thing is whether you are engaged in "commerce of any way,shape or form". NO you are not--hauling personal belongings is not for hire as we say.Those are the magic words!They can still get snippy if you are over legal weight (tearing up the roads)--but ya aint,so enjoy!

Nonotagain

Here goes.

What weight rating for tags do you presently have?

Until you go over 26,000lbs you don't have to have a class B license.

As already posted, you are not hauling commercially, so as long as you don't go over 26,000 lbs you don't require a class B license.

Class A
Any non-commercial vehicle
Any non-commercial trailer

Class B
Any single or combination of non-commercial motor vehicles

Class C
Any non-commercial combination of motor vehicles with a GVW less than 26,001 pounds

The axle rating used to be 12,000 for a steer axle and you could not exceed 20,000 for any drive axle.

California use to jig me atlease once a year. The oil leaking piece of crap 318 Detriot diesel I drove leaked more oil than it used diesel fuel.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do it like I did when I got out of the Navy...

I had my whole 3 bedroom house in that thing, plus half the garage in the M35.

39,874lbs total. I checked with some of the guys down at the local weigh station, and as previously stated, as long as the axles weights were below legal limits, and I wasn't getting paid to haul stuff, I was good.

:driver:

Attachments

WildWolfman

Ok that is awsome, where and how much... kinda about taped out with the duece, was thinking of shelling out some cash to get a flat bed to tow my '69 c-20 and some garage toys. but that trailer looks real nice and serve as a good storage unit!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks