• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird battery issue

firefirefire90

I have a 1986 M1009 with a peculiar problem. I have one bad battery which is the one hooked up to the starter and if I jump it then the truck starts fine with out problems. Now if I flip the batteries and try to start the truck, the glowplug relay starts going crazy and makes this horrible grinding rotating noise. Any reason this could be?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you have done a full 12 volt conversion, your truck uses both batteries to start(24v starter).

The glow plug controller uses one battery to operate(front). If your front battery is dead, it may cause relay chatter.

You may have a charging issue. front battery, drivers side alt, and rear battery is charged by the passenger side alt.

Last edited:

firefirefire90

Interesting deduction Mr. Doghead. I need to replace my belts then I can figure out my charging issue to the rear battery. Interesting that a low charged front battery would cause the chatter.

idM1028

Interesting that a low charged front battery would cause the chatter.
Not really if its using 12 volts as established by Mr. Doghead. When I start my truck up I can hear the GP relay clicking (as it should) and the voltmeter going crazy. Green, yellow, green, now yellow... I do know there's a 24V wire that attaches to the GP relay, but that's a story for another day.

firefirefire90

Not really if its using 12 volts as established by Mr. Doghead. When I start my truck up I can hear the GP relay clicking (as it should) and the voltmeter going crazy. Green, yellow, green, now yellow... I do know there's a 24V wire that attaches to the GP relay, but that's a story for another day.
lolwut? I've never heard it click until I drained one of the batteries.

TGP (IL)

You need to remove,charge, then load test both battery's.
And replace as necessary, and always' should replace battery's in pair's when multiple battery's are used.

Messing around with weak battery's in a 24V system is asking for Major problems.

As far as charging issues you said you know you need belts. Do That.
But does both Gen 1 and 2 lights come on when the key is first turned on?
If so your charging issue is, belts.
If not follow the TM's to diagnose the charging system.
TGP

idM1028

lolwut? I've never heard it click until I drained one of the batteries.
Might want to look into that. I replaced mine a while back. Cost me like $30 at NAPA. Check the FAQ thread or the wiki for the part #. You should be able to hear it with the wait light on. Its on the firewall up high on the driver side, so if you hear a loud clicking from there, you know its working. That and you should be able to see the electrical draw with the voltmeter. Not sure what the official number is, but mine cycles 4 times before it stops.

Terracoma

idM1028 is referring to "afterglow", when the glow plugs cycle after the engine starts.

Afterglow is normal, but will vary in length/cycles based on how warm the engine is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks