• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird Gen 1 Light issue

frontiersman

Have an 84 M1008. Everything works except speedo and a couple of the blackout lights. Anyway, both Gen 1 and Gen 2 lights have always worked as they should. Starter went out and I replaced it with a 24v gear reduction. Quite a task. So now, the Gen 1 light never comes on, even when you first turn the key on. Gen 1 is charging correctly, and I replaced the bulb in the Gen 1 indicator. It almost seems to me like the ignition wire going to the starter has a naked spot and is keeping the circuit closed (I did have to reroute the wire some to make it fit). Could this be possible? I have no other ideas. Thanks in advance.

frontiersman

After looking at the wiring diagrams, it occurred to me that if a fuseable link were blown between Gen 1 and the idiot light, then that light would stay on. If a fuseable link were blown in the ignition wiring, then the starter wouldn't crank. Starter cranks, and the Gen 1 light never comes on, yet the alternator is charging correctly. Dumb question, but is one of the little starter wires supposed to hot all the time?

frontiersman

Using a multimeter, Gen 1 is producing 14.6 volts, Gen 2 is producing 28.8 volts. Makes no sense, it has to be wire somewhere in the 12v system causing the problem. Very strange that the problem started after replacing the starter.

motorstormer

Did you figure out what the problem was. My gen 1 light didn't come on this morning and my volt gauge barely got in the green, it usually gets all the way up.

cucvrus

Generator/oil lights. Usually something you an fix by reaching up under the dash while the key is on and wiggle the bulb/socket in the cluster. Works most times for me if that occurs. Remove the offending bulb/socket and clean and bend the contacts and reinstall.

frontiersman

Found the problem. When I had to slightly reroute the 12v ignition wire from the key switch to the starter solenoid it had a small naked spot that I couldn't see which from time to time was grounding and causing the 12v circuit to stay closed, hence Gen 1 light would not come on. Fixed the problem. Hope this helps someone else.