• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird GEN2 light problem

idM1028

I've been having problems with the GEN2 light working properly on my M1028. Now, before anybody jumps in saying replace the bulb, or check the fuse, or check the exciter wire, here's what I've already accomplished:

Initially the light wasn't coming on at all. I replaced the bulb and the 24V fuse in the truck. My voltage readings at the fuse and the plug for the instrument panel were around 24V. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was around 24V for both. I checked the red and brown wires for the voltage regulator on GEN2 and both were also around 24V. I also bypassed the GEN2 relay with a jumper wire. Connecting the brown and red ground wire for the bulb and the black ground wire for the relay made the GEN2 light nice and bright. Disconnecting it caused it to go out, so I figured it had to be a bad relay. I replaced the relay and the problem persisted. I then checked the pink and black hot wire for the relay from the fusebox. I got a reading of 12V even between it and the ground wire. Thinking it might be the alternator I took it out and had it tested today. On the bench it put 14.6V and 80, pushing 90 amps so I went and put the alternator back in the truck. Now with the key on, the GEN2 light is lit, but dim. When starting the truck, it gets nice and bright and goes dim again once the truck is running. I also tried swapping relays since I was a little leary of the new one being that its Chinese made. No dice. RPM also doesn't seem to affect the brightness. It doesn't get dimmer the faster I go. ????

What else could I possibly check? It seems like I've got all the bases covered. I still think it might be the relay. Is there any way to pull the relay out and check it?

Last edited:

idM1028

I noticed the belt for GEN2 was a bit loose the other day (before I yanked the alt) but it wasn't squealing or anything. When I put the alt back in today, I made sure it was nice and tight.

idM1028

The voltmeter's reading around the green/yellow line, maybe if I'm lucky, just a tick into the green. I know this is being caused by the light bulb acting funny. Its part of the charging circuit. This is why you've got to make sure the GEN lights both light up when you start the truck up and then go out, or as Warthog put it, no bulby, no worky.

idM1028

The truck was sitting about on the tick mark in the green before this happened. Last night the light started flickering and then went out entirely. I don't think its the relay or the contacts. I tried popping the contacts out to clean them last night, but to no avail. I also tried putting both the relays (the old and the new) in the socket and both made a nice clicking noise with the batteries wired up. I traced the brown and white wire through the GEN2 diode (which had resistance) down to around the fusebox. The contacts seemed a little loose there, so I'm going to try to get them out and clean them today. I think I'll also try jumpering the voltage regulator in the alt directly from the battery and see if that makes any difference.

idM1028

Figured it out. Turns out that the wire which runs to the ground post on GEN2 from the 12V block had burnt through the wire (but not the insulation) just before the fusible link. (of course) Did a half way decent job of jimmy rigging the wire until I can get a new wire spliced in. The voltmeter is now right on the beginning of the tick mark in the green.

lindyp38

Figured it out. Turns out that the wire which runs to the ground post on GEN2 from the 12V block had burnt through the wire (but not the insulation) just before the fusible link. (of course) Did a half way decent job of jimmy rigging the wire until I can get a new wire spliced in. The voltmeter is now right on the beginning of the tick mark in the green.
maybe thats my problem......ill have to check...thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks