• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird little tube inside bellhousing???

kapnklug

Bought this '84 6.2 J-code motor recently, but I've never seen one with this little tube behind the flexplate before. It runs from between the oil-galley plugs to the outside of the block near the oil cooler fittings, and the end is open. Is this an air intake for the "PCV" system? If so, it looks like a great way to suck road dust right into the crankcase, since the tube exits just behind the driver's front tire.
I'm installing this motor soon... do I keep this thing or remove it and drive a cup into the hole?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah, I found that with a google search after looking at the engine parts TM and finding it and it's part number.

Yes, you need it. Leave it alone.

kapnklug

Aha, so it prevents the valley from filling up like a bathtub in case the IP leaks.
I didn't see it's opening in the valley (which confused me), but it must be plugged with goo. So still have a little work to do.
Thanks, Doghead!

rlltide12

These tubes are installed on 6.2s that had a manual trans behind them. Its intention was to keep oil and fuel from getting on the clutch assembly. I had to custom make one for mine when i went to an nv4500

nyoffroad

These tubes are installed on 6.2s that had a manual trans behind them. Its intention was to keep oil and fuel from getting on the clutch assembly. I had to custom make one for mine when i went to an nv4500
I'm a day late! I found that little tube interesting and left it alone when installing that engine in front of an auto, then shortly later I needed to make one for the engine I put in front of a manual. Just figures

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks