• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird occurence tonight

DanzboysM1009

I have a 1985 M1009, tonight I stopped by my buddy's to check on his project and when I went out to start the M1009, I turned the key as usual and all the standard lights came on momentarily, then everything went dead. It was like I had no power to anything, the radio, the dash, nothing. I cycled the key several times with no luck. I was gonna pop the hood an check under there, but decided to try the key one more time. When I did everything was fine, truck started right up. The radio station presets were gone as if the batteries had been disconnected, but she started right up. I drove to another business and shut the truck down. When I got back in it, no problem, started normally. I have never had this problem before, had the truck since July 2011. I don't know what to make of it, I don't know if the guy before me did the Doghead relay mod or not, look that over, but I don't have a relay sticking issue. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

LCDR Dan

Matt65

Load testing the batteries is always a good first step of verifying the foundation of the system.

Verify grounds and battery cables. Be aware of fusible links, even though they normally fail without intermittent patern. I had the Fr. Batt+ to Rr Batt- cable fail, but only while under load. It would otherwise test OK for voltage and continuity. I found it by accident because it was getting hot. I replaced it with a 2ga. cable and have had no problems since.
Read more here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=72579

Be patient with electrical problems. They have certainly given me the opportunity to develop this quality.

Last edited:

ralbelt

You should start with clean battery connections, shiney clean, with wire brush and emery cloth. Look under the dash and see if the DH mod was done, if not do asap.

stampy

You have a loose or damaged battery cable. I had the same thing happen to me about 2 weeks ago. Mine was the jumper between the two batteries. While I was fixing it I roughed up the battery posts and tightened the new cable on real good.

M1008driver

Are the battery connections clean and tight?
That was my answer when that happened to me. Mainly the negative connector on the front battery and corroded cables was the culprit. I swapped mine with military connectors and special ordered 2 guage copper cables. It made a huge difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks