• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird starting issue

jhershner@yahoo.com

So I have had my m1008 for about a month now, and I really like driving it. I went to go help a friend do some work and drove it across town, then parked it for about fifteen minutes. When I went to re-start it, it just cranked over, but would not start. It didn't even sound like it was getting any spark at all, just kept turning over. I thought it was out of gas, so I drove across town to get some fuel. After I put 5 gallons in it, it turned over right away and started. So I just thought it ran out of fuel. Then I started it, ran it for a few minutes, then stopped it. I did this a few more times, then all the sudden, it wouldn't start again. I let it sit for a few minutes, then it suddenly started. It did this a few more times throughout the day, sometimes starting right up, sometimes not starting at all. Letting it sit for a few minute seemed to help, because it would eventually start. Anybody have any Ideas what this could be? Fuel pump? Filter? Glow plugs starting to fail? I dunno. I have never seen this kind of starting problems before.

ida34

Your kidding right? No spark on a diesel. Air leak into the fuel line or bad injection pump is my guess. A bad boost pump might be a problem also. Once the engine is warm it will usually start without glow plugs.

jhershner@yahoo.com

The no spark thing was the best way I could describe what was going on...It doesn,t leak a drop of fuel anywhere, an only seemed to do this when it was warm. This was the first warm day of the year (70 plus degrees). If it sounds like I am a rookie diesel owner, you would be right. I am familiar with gas engines, but don't have a clue when it comes to diesels.

taildragger03

Diesel are relatively simple, Air+Fuel+Compression(21:1 in your case)=Power. That is the simple way of looking at the diesel engine. You have two pumps, one is down on the pass. side front of the block. that is your lift pump. Looks real similar to the gas chevy fuel pumps. The other is your injection pump located under the intake manifold. That is your higher pressure pump, feeds the injectors. Another thing to look at is your fuel filter base, the silver rectangle on the pass. side firewall. It could be introducing air into the system. there are several threads on issues of air getting into the fuel system from that part. Also check out the Technical Manuals for CUCV (in the search option) on starting issues.

jhershner@yahoo.com

Just understanding where things are located might be a big help to me as I am fairly mechanically inclined. Fuel pump ect. Also, where is the sensor that regulates the glow plugs in relation to water temperature in the system. On a different note, does anyone have any idea where to get adapters for these plugs, to run everyday equipment, as I do not have a surplus of military equipment to run off these things....thanks John

taildragger03

Which adapters are you referring to? Glow plugs?

First if it is warm enough, the glow plug system is not necessary. If you shut if down for 15 mins. and went to start again, the gp (glow plugs) may or may not be used. As for the system itself, the gp's have a relay (on the firewall next to the wiper motor) and are controlled by a circuit card under your dash (be careful). The system is dependent on a coolant sensor (left head) for a signal to the card that activates the relay. You should hear the relay switch when the key is turned to "on". Check the relay for volts, also check the connectors on the glow plugs. They can cascade as they fail because the each plug picks up the added voltage. Before you do anything read up on the electrical schematics. A lot of problems can be solved with reading the Appendix F and trouble shooting. There are options to manually fire the glow plugs. Just do some homework. It's worth it!:smile:

Still, don't forget to look into the fuel system. To run it only needs air, fuel and compression. You may have air being introduced into the fuel system. So check the system starting at the tank moving forward (connections, etc). Use the manuals to guide you and of course we are here to help!:smile: