• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weld or Replace?

Gouldian

After crawling around in the mud I located the reason my brakes were inop. The hydro side of my air pack has a crack. I work as a pipefitter and I'm confident that one of the old guys could weld it up. is this a viable solution? Or should I just pony up the full paycheck to buy a new one? I know that brakes are not an area to skimp on, however we regularly weld pressure systems. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Jeepsinker

If I were you I would try and find a rebuildable core and just rebuild it and install instead of buying a new one. I know pipe fitter welders are excellent welders, but bear in mind that that housing is cast, and cast can not be reliably welded. Not when it comes to a brake system anyway.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually the best thing is that you asked first instead of us reading about your horrible crash from brake failure in the papers.

:p [thumbzup]

FloridaAKM

From this posting, I gather that trying to repair brake system parts is a bad idea & replacing these parts is nothing short of doing the right thing to prevent any small or large accidents from happening. Thanks, I'll look for a dual line brake system truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks