• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

welder choice...

CUCVLOVER

Sorry I was not trying to put down any pipe welders I've worked with a few pipe welders I'm just saying if you want to learn a variety welds work in a fab shop.

I was not trying to offend anyone if I did I'm sorry and I will shut up now pardon my French

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just getting started. Inheriting an SP250 Lincoln in a few days. Should be uphill from there.

rustystud

We can debate which welder is better till the end of time.

My advice to the OP is to look into some training before you purchase a welder. Training is available at night schools, vocational schools, community college and some welding places.

You should ask the school to see if they provide or sell the personal protective gear. The school I went to provided loaner helmets and leathers. I did not want to wear loaners so I bought my own helmet, leathers and gloves. I still have them. I used the helmet today, but it was updated a long time ago with an auto darkening lens.

Here are some welding gear packages to look at.

http://www.weldfabulous.com/c-1319-welding-gear-packs.aspx

The welder is just the start. Then comes all the fabrication equipment.
Yes, schooling is best. That way he can also decide which type of welding machine he likes best. Since I was a professional welder and had to weld with gas, stick, MIG, and TIG. I bought all four types ! Though my favorite is still stick welding.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nice Kenny, do yourself a favor, get an auto-dark helmet. Also, most folks that start out welding try to move too fast. Slow and steady does it!

iatractor

Being a dealer for both red and blue welder, and getting all sorts of people asking day in and day out what is the best machine, the thing I can tell you is if there was one machine that was "best" for everything, there would only be one. Each machine has its purpose, use, and limitations. If someone has never welded and wants to learn, best thing to do is take a class, or at least get a feel for each process by finding someone that has a particular machine. When it comes to buying a machine, buy quality. Purchase it used, or from a welding distributor, and stick with miller, Lincoln, Esab, Thermal arc/tweeco. What happens when you buy a machine that isn't made by a mainline welder company is that you find parts (yes you will need parts like tips, nozzles, distributors, and liners if you use your machine much) can be hard to come by because the machine quite often is built to order for someone by another manufacturer. Go into your local welding supply company and tell them you are looking at a welder but would like to talk to someone that has some machines and you would like to try one out. Bet they have several customers that would love to show off their purchase. I have a mental rolodex of customers that own various machines that have offered, or been asked to show someone their machine. So far nobody has turned down a prospect.

cbear

Being a dealer for both red and blue welder, and getting all sorts of people asking day in and day out what is the best machine, the thing I can tell you is if there was one machine that was "best" for everything, there would only be one. Each machine has its purpose, use, and limitations. If someone has never welded and wants to learn, best thing to do is take a class, or at least get a feel for each process by finding someone that has a particular machine. When it comes to buying a machine, buy quality. Purchase it used, or from a welding distributor, and stick with miller, Lincoln, Esab, Thermal arc/tweeco. What happens when you buy a machine that isn't made by a mainline welder company is that you find parts (yes you will need parts like tips, nozzles, distributors, and liners if you use your machine much) can be hard to come by because the machine quite often is built to order for someone by another manufacturer. Go into your local welding supply company and tell them you are looking at a welder but would like to talk to someone that has some machines and you would like to try one out. Bet they have several customers that would love to show off their purchase. I have a mental rolodex of customers that own various machines that have offered, or been asked to show someone their machine. So far nobody has turned down a prospect.
Any issue with Hobart? I know for a while they share some Miller parts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice Kenny, do yourself a favor, get an auto-dark helmet. Also, most folks that start out welding try to move too fast. Slow and steady does it!
Just had one shipped in. Piecing it back together now, 7 yr old got to it.

Jeepsinker

Harbor freight sells them for like $50... Worth a shot if you don't care to be a hood flipper.
And the only reason Hobart is any good is because they learned from Miller.

Another Ahab

Took my welding class at a local community college, the instructor said that some of the best welders he knew were women:

- ran into them when he worked the Alaska Pipeline back in the day

- said it was mostly about their patience and just what you're saying

- said they took their time and were careful

Taught us all to lay down our beads like that, like we were sewing (only using molten metal instead of thread); slow and steady and methodical, pushing the puddle calm and consistent.

Last edited:

iatractor

Any issue with Hobart? I know for a while they share some Miller parts.
Hobart machines are 85-95% miller parts. Nearly all of the consumables are miller. Biggest visual difference is the mig gun connector is a different diameter. Other differences are: tapped power versus rheostat control, and lots of the internal parts tend to be plastic where miller might be metal, or Hobart has aluminum and the miller has copper. Basically the Hobart is a consumer grade Miller. Reason for this is that ITW corp wanted Miller machines to represent a particular quality or standard, and Hobart another.

Another Ahab

Hobart machines are 85-95% miller parts. Nearly all of the consumables are miller. Biggest visual difference is the mig gun connector is a different diameter. Other differences are: tapped power versus rheostat control, and lots of the internal parts tend to be plastic where miller might be metal, or Hobart has aluminum and the miller has copper. Basically the Hobart is a consumer grade Miller. Reason for this is that ITW corp wanted Miller machines to represent a particular quality or standard, and Hobart another.
The old beer and champagne angle. A price point for everybody. That was the GM thinking behind Chevy and Cadillac, too, wasn't it?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hobart and Miller are owned by the same company. Most of the new models are the Millers and Hobart is the older model Miller.

When I was shopping for a stick buzz box, I was going to go with Hobart 200amp but Miller just came out with a 250amp so I went with the Miller for the extra amperage. Not that I'll ever use 250 amps but the duty cycle is higher throughout the whole range.

You can't go wrong with Hobart and usually save a few bucks over the Miller.

Jeepsinker

I've always had good luck with my Miller and Hobart machines. Never had any luck at all with a Lincoln machine. I wouldn't pi$$ on one if it was on fire... Or plugged in....

Im sure plenty of people have had great luck with Lincoln machines, but I'm done with them.

cummins67

Welding tips and tricks on YouTube is dependable info. The biggest things in welding are 1the right tools for the job (gas wire rod) 2 good fit up between the two pieces being welded 3 make shure the welding surface is clean (any foreign material around a weld will be in the weld when the weld surface gets hot. (Oil dirt ect.

rustystud

I've always had good luck with my Miller and Hobart machines. Never had any luck at all with a Lincoln machine. I wouldn't pi$$ on one if it was on fire... Or plugged in....

Im sure plenty of people have had great luck with Lincoln machines, but I'm done with them.
Some of the smaller MIG units are not that good, but the big commercial units cannot be beat ! I'm also going to be buying a Lincoln stick AC/DC 250amp unit soon (easier to move around) . There still being built like they where 50 years ago ! I love my 300amp TIG unit. Bought it in 1986 and still runs like it was brand new !!! Someday I will upgrade and get one of those fancy new helmuts with the auto dimming, but I'm so used to flipping my head now that it has become instinct.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I started with a little Lincoln 3200hd, it did what it was rated for very well. As the natural progression, I eventually needed bigger.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks