• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welder off of m35a2

sewerzuk

Has any one setup a welder off is the alt. on the multi fuel I did a search no luck
The welding process I used in the video isn't quite as versatile as the weldernator...but it is almost free. Hard to beat that!
I carry a Ready Welder with me that covers about 90% of any field welding that I need to do; it runs perfectly off of the deuce's 24v electrical system. Any bigger jobs get completed with my Lincoln Ranger.
www.readywelder.com

sewerzuk

Do you have any issues with battery life welding with jumper cables
I typically use the jumper cable stick welding only as an emergency trail repair; I've never burned through more than a couple of electrodes on any single project. The batteries hold up fine for those shorter jobs. Using this method of welding uses about the same amperage as a starter turning over a large diesel engine...so the batteries are capable of welding for about as long as they would be able to turn an engine over. Good healthy ones will give you a few minutes of welding, old worn out ones will give you under a minute.
I've actually used this method a lot out on the trail...at least a few dozen times. It does work great, but it is a little different than conventional stick welding (which is normally a constant current process). Even an experienced welder should practice this if he intends to rely on it in an emergency situation. And, even though I believe it is safe, there is certainly a slight risk of damage to batteries and possibly even battery explosion. Exercise caution [thumbzup]

welldigger

There is a way to modify a standard automotive alternater into a tig/stick welder...but after seeing that ready welder I have to say for the money I would rather go that route.