• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welding rear ends?

Parker2

I was thinking of putting in Detroit lockers in both rear ends, but then I thought why not weld both rears and put lock out hubs on them. Would this be better than lockers? Also would this add more wear to everything or when unlocked would I still have the benefit of less wear because of the lock out hubs? How would this do both off and on road? Please feel free to talk down to me as I am not too familiar with the differentials.:)

Thanks.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had lockout hubs on all the axles your truck wouldn't move with the hubs unlocked. The only way the truck could travel is to just unlock one side. This would make cornering a little unstable and would make the truck pull to one side when going down the road. Guess you could alternate the pulling side on the tandems but it still wouldn't handle right. I think it's a bad idea.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I had been thinking of doing this to one axle, so I could have a regular diff(or two counting the front) for on road, and a locked one offroad. Haven't thought too hard about it though.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, I'm sure it would work fine with just one axle welded and lockouts on said axle. Wonder how much it would help in mud with the other axle open though.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If I posted every thought I had about what I might do to a truck, you guys might have to change my screen name to "DR. SEUSS"!

mudguppy

i would go w/ the ouverson lockers, though. they can be had for the same price as Detroits and are made of a little better material.

IHASFIP

I figure it would be really hard on the last jack shaft ( or whatever you want to call it), if you welded both set of spider gears. I would fork out the money for Ouverson lockers if I were to lock the rear of mine. I would really like powersteering and an ARB for the front. Or hell 3 ARBS would be awesome, and expensive... :cry:

D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks