• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welding with 24 volts?

idM1028

Read a good article: Dual Battery Installation and have seen this a few other places. Apparently, you can weld with car batteries. From what I've read so far, 3 batteries in series works best, but 2 in series (Hmm...where have we seen this?) will work in a pinch. I've even gone as far as debating whether or not to throw a package or two of welding rods in the glove box as part of my "Oh s***, the truck's broke and Murphy's an a**hole" stuff. Obviously, I would not do this on a regular basis, just in emergencies. Has anybody ever tried this? If so, how well did it work?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many years ago, maybe 40 years, I read an article somewhere about a guy that was in a boat out in the Gulf of Mexico that broke the driveshaft completely in two pieces, and he couldn't raise any help via radio. The guy supposedly by-passed the rectifiers on the engine alternator. He then used the alternator output to weld the driveshaft back together using a coathangar for a welding rod, and was able to limp back home.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Lincoln Welding, first started out using batteries as the power source, at first putting them in series and parallel as needed, then leaving them all hooked up to a master control with plugs and control knobs and gages, these battery packs were big the size of a pick up bed and bigger. all on a charger/chargers, welding as come a long way since the Lincoln battery first packs

There has been a few threads about welding with batteries

combat32

I have done it by accident taking batts out of an M3 Bradley, put a pretty good bead on a 1/2 inch wrench once:beer: Saw McGyver do it in an episode once using jumper cables and a penny, so it must be true.

idM1028

Saw McGyver do it in an episode once using jumper cables and a penny, so it must be true.
Oh of course, because if McGyver can do it, it MUST be true...
Kinda interesting how he reversed the polarity on the weld side...Wonder if this would cause any problems seeing as how the CUCV is a 12/24V system. Made the mistake once of hooking the rear battery up wrong in the truck. First and last time I made that mistake. Took me a minute to figure out why stuff was smoking. Still though, that's a good looking weld for nothing but auto batteries.

cpf240

They also make welding rigs that run off 24v. Chief_919 ( Old Grouch Surplus ) talked about them when he was interviewed on The Survival Podcast. They are a bit spendy though!

Gunner0311

Penetration

If worked for McGyver it must be good!

Seriously though, my question is how well does this method penetrate?

Do you get enough penetration for the weld to hold together under a major stress,
such as a cracked leave spring bracket??:beer:

APM215

my question is how well does this method penetrate?

Do you get enough penetration for the weld to hold together under a major stress,
I think it would be good enough to get you off the trail or back home ware a proper repair could be made. Good to keep in mind for those times when the sh@# hit’s the fan.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
don't see any difference compared to other welding, depends on the amps, if the batteries can produce the needed amps things would be good, remember the first electical welding was from batteries

APM215

I agree with 73m819. If the amperage is right for the size of the electrode and the thickness of the steel then the weld could be just fine.
Like using a 1/8th E-6011, because it is a fast freezing rod and it is impervious to “some rust and oil“ . You could use a E-7018 but the weld surface has to be really clean to prevent porosity in the weld. And we all know how pretty 7018 looks when your done. LOL

trukhead

Absolutely outstanding video! Positive on the ground of the weld work concentrates the heat in the work piece. Length of arc varies the amperage to some degree. Correct welding technique and decent joint prep and that weld would be as good as a machine in the garage. I think a supply of 6011 electrode in a sealed bag, a good set of jumper cables with a removable electrode holder, a sharp file, a bunch of sand paper and a chipping hammer-brush would make a fine compliment to the tool box. :grd:

unaffiliated

If worked for McGyver it must be good!

Seriously though, my question is how well does this method penetrate?

Good penetration is always a plus. OH, we were talking about welding..........never mind.

Gunner0311

Tool Box

Darn. It looks like I might need a bigger tool box! I already have stored an air over hydraulic 20 ton jack, .75" impact wrench and air line w/ gladhand, geared lugwrench, 40K pound tow strap and wheel chocks.

I guess I can put together an emergency welding kit and store it behind the seat of the M52A2. We will keep another kit in the M109A3's van body with the collection
of various tools/parts we already haul around.

Now I understand why the trailer was invented. We keep coming up with more
ideas of what we need to have with us... aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks