• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well another LVT-4 gets to come back to life...

dmetalmiki

Ugly duckling does not quite sum it up! That is one weird looking beast. Nice though, Will be following your progress and eventual dip in the water with great interest.

Anyone see the other one sitting next to it? :D:D
Yep there were 7 that went all at once - 3 with modified engines and 4 shells - all but one had the tracks mounted on them... set of loose tracks was sold with the 7th one...

The city of Buffalo NY was using them about 8 years back to break ice on the Buffalo River to allow ship access... The 4 shells were spares to support the 3 turquoise ones they were running - two with 6 cyl continental diesels and 1 with a cummins 250

Matt

Some one sent me a text about the auction - I searched around a bit but none of the military vehicle sites had anything posted about it - I haven't even heard who else won the others - I know one user took all 4 of the shells...

I think there was a guy from Italy that got the one in the background of the pics I posted - dunno about the cummins 250 powered one...

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They have been sitting there for YEARS ! I checked them out years ago , glad to see they were auctioned off and hopefully a better life . They did use them for some winter duties , but most of the time the city uses the Fireboat Cotter to break up the river ice .

Monkeyboyarmy

Just looked at the auction pictures. One of those shells would have saved me a ton of rebuilding on mine. Let me know if I can help. I'm 2 hours away, have a wrecker, 915 tractor but no trailer. I'm 3 miles from route 90 and have room for storage if you need it.

waayfast

Congrats Matt!!

I was watching the progress of the sale over on the G. Very cool that you ended up with one. Would you happen to know if the LVT was powered by the Guiberson Diesel radial engine?
Jim

I believe the Guiberson was a late model option - most came with the continental w-670a 7 cylinder radial...

Would love to put the 9 cyl radial diesel into it but finding a rebuildable or running motor will be a challenge...

Did find one for sale but they wanted 20k for the engine...

Any radial leads?

Last edited:
They have been sitting there for YEARS ! I checked them out years ago , glad to see they were auctioned off and hopefully a better life . They did use them for some winter duties , but most of the time the city uses the Fireboat Cotter to break up the river ice .
Are you still somewhat local? The site manager mentioned the shells hadn't moved for like 25 years - I guess they last used the turquoise ones about 8 years ago...

waayfast

I believe the Guiberson was a late model option - most came with the continental 270 7 cylinder radial...

Would love to put the 9 cyl radial diesel into it but finding a rebuildable or running motor will be a challenge...

Did find one for sale but they wanted 20k for the engine...

Any radial leads?
Thanks for verifying what I thought I'd remembered.

PM sent,

Jim

Last edited:

waayfast

Matt,

I have a Guiberson Diesel Radial here at the place.

I obtained this from a scrap iron dealer that told me it came from an estate he was hired to clean up after the old fella had passed away. This estate was of a retired WWII pilot that after the war bought a bunch of surplus for his hobby ranch. Scrap dealer told me there was two Cletracs (I bought one) a couple of half-tracs etc. amongst other things.

This has a data plate that says "bureau of ships". Also a plate that says T-1020, which is for surface vehicles, not A-1020 which is the aircraft version. Dated 1943 I believe.

He said he knew the guy for years and remembers seeing this engine in the original crate with paper work. Years later when he was hired to clean up, the engine was
there but the crate was opened up and papers missing. It is still mounted in remnants of the original crate.

I am guessing this is new old stock but obviously can't guarantee it. It does have what looks to be remnants of cosmoline still in a few spots (and to me, it does not seem to be old oil from leaks from normal operation). All nuts and bolts and safety look to be un-damaged I.E. not ever worked on.

Been sitting a long time and is stuck (I'm guessing ring stuck.) I have seen the $20,000 Ebay engine and this looks to be WAY better shape and more complete (has all the sheet metal.) Not to mention his price is just a tad high, LOL!!

I have followed with you on these forums for years and even though we have never met, I feel with your background, mechanical ability and professional attitude, that you would be a VERY good candidate for this engine, especially if it goes for the LVT.

I can get you some photos, and you are certainly invited to come and inspect this in person.

Steve Greenburg from Portland has tried to talk me out of this engine over the years, but I was undecided what to do so I've kept it. I just turned 60 and have to realize I have to many projects ahead of this and you may have just the home this engine is looking for.

Regards, Jim

208-634-7880h
208-630-4157c

Jim - thank you for the kind words; and I would be very interested in seeing some more pictures and likely coming out to check it out - Kelly and I were mentioning yesterday that would be the preferred option if we were to search for a radial to bring the engine bay back to the OEM arrangement...

I again am amazed by the support of fellow hobbyists and friends in this little adventure we have all signed on for; thanks to everyone who lend a hands, information, or even just a clap on the back for helping preserve a little bit of history; it's icing on the cake - Jim, thanks again and I look forward to meeting up with ya, plus I might have to drool over the herd of cletracs you have!

Matt

Yes I am just north of Buffalo , PM me if you need any help . I need a new adventure ! LOL , FYI , they are TALL , got to be at least 8' to the top and WIDE , Bob k
Hi Bob - yup - they listed it as 26ft long x 10.8ft wide x 8ft tall - I will keep you guys posted as to the plan to get it mobile

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks