• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well, finally registered her and drove her for my first time...

Action

Been driving her and under 30 I'm ok but over thirty and on bumpy roads she is a bronking buck. I have yet to install the Centromatics.

Tie rod ends and ball joints all have play and need replacement. Not sure yet about shocks, but they seem ok when I apply weight and let off . ( ie.: She does not bounce).

Got me thinking, what were the H1 civilian suspension mods [if any] that allow these units to drive over 70?
Push it past 35 amd see if it smooths back out.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Push it past 35 amd see if it smooths back out.
Yeah, time delay response... As mentioned, there is a right rear axle rhythmic sound/bump/shudder at 25-35MPH. As Action suggested, it seems to smooth out and disappear at 40MPH. Drive-train seems ready/willing/able to go past 45MPH [but I restrained myself due to loose tie rod ends and ball joints and leaking power steering.]

Pulled a "new to me" loaded M1102 without major issues, but sloppy tie rod ends mean I gotta clean up the suspension this week before taking any chances above 45MPH.

I have centromatics to install, along with new shock absorbers and new uncracked rubber. Tie rod ends and ball joints all gotta go. Axles look ok [meaning rubber boots intact], but might swap them out to be sure in near future (and keep these with unknown CV joints as spares for emergencies on the road). Gonna get new power steering box rather than rebuild current box. This forum mentions this is just a regular off the shelf box, so why not just get a new one and be done with it for the next 20 years? Gotta look up the power steering part number, I guess.

I also don't like the alignment and wear patterns of the rear tires. Camber is off/positive (look like lower edge is in further than upper edge), so shims will need adjustment (or I can add 300-400lb of sandbags to the back).

As mentioned in another thread, I purchased new bolts that prevent loss of wheels at speed.

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Very great looking MV, Repaint?

Shackle mounts
Kind of silly thought but have you checked axle joints, bearings, axle bolts?
Goodness forbid but cracked frame rail, loose shock mounts?
As nice as the truck looks does not appear to have been abused, but looks can be deceiving.

Good Luck

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very great looking MV, Repaint?

Shackle mounts
Kind of silly thought but have you checked axle joints, bearings, axle bolts?
Goodness forbid but cracked frame rail, loose shock mounts?
As nice as the truck looks does not appear to have been abused, but looks can be deceiving.

Good Luck
Thanks, and yeah, I crawled under her and bolts are tight and frame is straight and unbroken.

Not sure why she bumps rhythmically at 25-35MPH.

Ball joints are used up and tie rod ends are also used up and allow play.

Shock bolts are tight BUT shocks are getting changed as part of my routine maintenance.

New vehicle tires and rims will get balanced prior to centramatics.

Also will balance and place centramatics on the trailer wheels.

Paint will wait till spring as temps are well below 50 degrees. I prefer to paint at 70 degrees F.

[EDIT - just noticed the shackle mount comment, and the thump thump thump is not like a shackle mount clank clank clank, but thanks].

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks