• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well,I got another M172A1 trailer

AMGeneral

Well folks,I just got my certificate of sale from one of "the other" Govt sales websites that I won another M172A1 lowboy in Newton NC,just down the road from me(30 minutes),missing the ramps and landing leg extender feet but with spare.

Recovery pics will be posted,stay tuned.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a spare set of ramps cheap if your can tolerate the motor freight charges to get them to you. Not rusty, not bent, no wood. PM me if interested. You don't need the extender feet with a 5 ton or 915, the legs are long enough.

gusto1

Brandon,
Glad to hear about the lowboy. I was thinking of one to pull behind the M52A2.
I think they are a little wide. Do you need a permit or can you get a yearly permit to pull it down the road?
Thanks,
Gus

AMGeneral

Thanks NDT,I'll keep that in mind,it'll need ramps.

Gus,You can get a $100 per year blanket permit from the state of NC for overwidth loads.

I may sell this trailer depending on what the other one looks like,I already have 1 SS member that has first chance,otherwise it's on the market as soon as the one from VA gets here.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

It's here!!!

Well,I went and picked up the M172A1 I won off of Gov Deals today,it looked much nicer in person than it did in the pictures.

Not much rust,very little civilian modifications,most lights work and it has fairly new tires all around,just needs 2 tubes and 1 tire/tube(slit in sidewall),and it still had the landing leg extensions for the M123/M911/M920 trucks!!

Even the landing gears worked after they were freed up from sitting.

A special tanks to Brown Oil Co in Conover for the use of their shop to swap tires around for the trip home.

Sorry folks,no recovery pics,just pics of it in the backyard hooked to the 915A1.

Attachments

CGarbee

Aren't you glad that a little birdie told you that it was up for sale... :)
Glad that you got it and that it is in better shape than you expected.

That M915A1 looks a lot better with something on the fifth wheel.

mtnrebel

it looks like the flat stayed together.

air tools would have been a plus, wait, we had them, just wrong attachments.

Brown Oil Co. was happy to assist a fellow MV'r. Nice big shop, may as well utilize it!

MDSA

And to think I almost came by tonight; I could have seen your new arrival in person.

Glad it's worked out so well.

davidkroberts

how did it pull, any issues, only asking because i was looking for something MIL SPEC to haul new stuff back to the house with (after seeing the prices of new goosenecks:-() buying a 818 hopefully on this next auction cycle.:driver:

glad the recovery went well.... great looking trailer.

L999here

...trip to VA....?

Brandon,hope you are able to get the M172A1 from Va. SOON. It is in better shape,I believe,than the trailer shown. Good job on getting another one. Any luck on getting an original manual from ebay...?

AMGeneral

Well,I made it home,Murphy must have been with wreckerman,cause he left me alone the whole trip.

I left here at 0530,got to Blackstone VA at 10:30,left at 12:00 and got back home at right after 7 PM.Trip numbers are 568 total miles,80 gallons of fuel burned,7.1 mpg!!

Len,It's definetly in good shape,all lights and brakes worked without and issues.I haven't even looked for a M172A1 manual,guess I need to.

Sorry,no recovery pics,I forgot the camera again,but here's a few of it in the yard.

The 915 is more comfortable than a tactical M series tractor.but not by much.

Attachments

Last edited:

L999here

...nice job...

Glad you finally got the other M172A1. Was hoping it was better than the first one you were able to get home. Check out ebay under 'M172A1' for an original manual...the guy has a few of 'em. Also...did the title get to you OK...?