• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well that just happened

WYomer

So last night I finished replacing the inner oil seal on my M923a2, once I made a block tool for the slide hammer it was easy. But the CTIS was acting up and I went in to start dinner with the truck running. Made dinner, had a drink, played with the kids, watched a movie and went to bed.

Woke up this morning to take the kids to school and start my suburban. Yeah the 5 ton is still running :?. So about 1/4 tank of fuel is gone and when I turned it off about a cup of oil leaked from the turbo outlet. I'm guessing that it is just diesel/carbon stuck in the exhaust. So tonight I'm putting the bows and canvas back on and checking all the fluids.

Some days being a single Dad sucks the brain right out of me. I figured I'd share for a laugh.

infidel got me

Put an alarm on your start switch(like the low air buzzer)that way it will remind you the truck is running. lol If that's the worst you did-- I'm sure we can forgive you. At least it wasn't gone when you went outside.

Dock Rocker

I hate to admit it but I have done the same in my 1/2 ton truck. We idle our trucks a lot in the oilfield to have a cool or warm place on location and you get in the habit of not turning them off.
I hooked up to a trailer and got a phone call. I finished up the trailer and walked in the house on the phone. I got ready the next morning and went out to start my day and the truck was still there and running just like I left it. I didn't even notice when the lights came on after it got dark.
So don't feel like The Lone Ranger.

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

Gunzy

My boss left one of our wreckers running one day and I found it running a 2:30am when I towed in an impounded car. It happens.

99nouns

Can you please share how long did the run on that 1/4 tank?

So last night I finished replacing the inner oil seal on my M923a2, once I made a block tool for the slide hammer it was easy. But the CTIS was acting up and I went in to start dinner with the truck running. Made dinner, had a drink, played with the kids, watched a movie and went to bed.

Woke up this morning to take the kids to school and start my suburban. Yeah the 5 ton is still running :?. So about 1/4 tank of fuel is gone and when I turned it off about a cup of oil leaked from the turbo outlet. I'm guessing that it is just diesel/carbon stuck in the exhaust. So tonight I'm putting the bows and canvas back on and checking all the fluids.

Some days being a single Dad sucks the brain right out of me. I figured I'd share for a laugh.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, you definitely let it idle long enough for the temperatures to stabilize. ;)

I must add a word of caution about sitting in idling vehicles - Never sit in one with all the windows closed, carbon monoxide can build up inside and do you in. Leave the windows open just enough to get some fresh air flow.
A fellow SS member lost his teenage son to this, taking a nap in a car idling to keep the heater on. I found him there, a day later. Try being the one who has to tell a father that news.
And no, the car was not defective, it had a good exhaust system (it was all checked after the fact). This can happen with any vehicle, and a surprising number of people don't know it.

Sorry for sticking a downer in the thread, but it's a safety concern I feel strongly about.

Cheers

WYomer

Can you please share how long did the run on that 1/4 tank?
I started dinner at 5:45PM and started the suburban at 7:25am

Tonight I'll check everything and fill the truck tomorrow. I should have a better idea of the 13.5hrs it ran but I think it was on 3/4 and its a bit below 1/2 now. so 21-25gallons

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

Well, you definitely let it idle long enough for the temperatures to stabilize. ;)

I must add a word of caution about sitting in idling vehicles - Never sit in one with all the windows closed, carbon monoxide can build up inside and do you in. Leave the windows open just enough to get some fresh air flow.
A fellow SS member lost his teenage son to this, taking a nap in a car idling to keep the heater on. I found him there, a day later. Try being the one who has to tell a father that news.
And no, the car was not defective, it had a good exhaust system (it was all checked after the fact). This can happen with any vehicle, and a surprising number of people don't know it.

Sorry for sticking a downer in the thread, but it's a safety concern I feel strongly about.

Cheers
This is very true. It's a running joke but you actually have to attend a class in order to properly sleep on a shell location. They had a fatality due to carbon monoxide poisoning so they had to develope a SOP for sleeping in a vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

WYomer

Cheers
gasses in general can build up. A co worker was working on a mobile surgery suit and it has an anesthesia leak. I found him in the morning.

I also know guys in shops that had similar stuff happen from CO2, sedaline, gas, coolant, etc.

Ventilation Ventilation Ventilation

I was on a construction job site about a decade ago, and we were using a diesel ground heater for temporary heat in the building. The fuel tank was huge, and the little transfer pump on the site tank took forever to fill it. One day I was filling the tank and someone needed me to look at something so I went with them knowing that I had plenty of time before the tank filled. After about an hour I walked outside and realized that I had forgotten about it. The tank was overflowing for who knows how long. There was a huge puddle of #2 all over the ground. Luckily the heater was parked in a little valley, and the ground was frozen so I was able to mop most of the fuel up. But still what a pain. It was pretty embarrassing cleaning up spilled fuel as people walked by asking what happened.

pevrs114

When I was in a field artillery unit, we routinely slept in the back of our 5 ton trucks. We used Mr. Heater Buddy's to stay warm. We made sure to keep the rear cargo flap opened slightly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks