• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well...the tranny went last night in my M1009

JPDC

Just wanted to get a little info from you guys before I bring it in to AAMCO. Finished plowing my driveway last evening and all of a sudden I was stepping on the gas and the RPMs were going up but I wasn't really going anywhere. Limped it over to the driveway and there she sits. Funny swishing sound happens in park, but no other gear (not that I am getting any other gears).

Somebody tell me it is something other than a complete rebuild. I don't know what kind of life this had before me, but I have been treating it like a baby since I got it (even with the snowplowing - I know it is hard on trannys).
Aamco gave me a ballpark of $2200 for a complete rebuild, but they need to look at it first. He said it could be a pump or shift linkage. Hopefully something less than 2 grand!!!

Thanks for any input. aua

Josh

Go buy a take out turbo400. They can be had for a 100-200 bucks around here.

Also check your fluid and see if its burnt, or has a really bad smell to it.

grayw0lf

Be sure to check the fluid level.

Th350's & Th400's are notorious for not going anywhere when they're just a bit low on fluid.

& of course, crawl underneath & check your linkage. If it were me, I'd pull the pan & check the filter. It its really worn out, the filter & pan should be filled w/ a metal particles. You'll also have a little silver milkshake in the very bottom of the pan.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is way high in my opinion. A take out as mentioned should be 100-200. I would think that quote is at least twice higher than it should be.2cents

Josh

Oh, Btw, I just had a 4L80E rebuilt for one of our work trucks, and it was only 1400 bucks. No way a turbo400 should cost near that.

JPDC

Just ran out and let the thing warm up for about 30 mins and checked the fluid again. Smells a little funny, but not burnt by any means. Still red in color (not brown). So I throw it in drive to see if anything has changed and the f-in thing is moving again. I have all the gears and it pulls fine. I am thinking a vacuum hose or something maybe with the governor? Any new ideas?? I'm happier than I was a few minutes ago!! :shock:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pull it yourself and you should be able to find a reputable independant shop to rebuild it for less than $400

jimmy-90

Just wanted to get a little info from you guys before I bring it in to AAMCO. Finished plowing my driveway last evening and all of a sudden I was stepping on the gas and the RPMs were going up but I wasn't really going anywhere. Limped it over to the driveway and there she sits. Funny swishing sound happens in park, but no other gear (not that I am getting any other gears).

Somebody tell me it is something other than a complete rebuild. I don't know what kind of life this had before me, but I have been treating it like a baby since I got it (even with the snowplowing - I know it is hard on trannys).
Aamco gave me a ballpark of $2200 for a complete rebuild, but they need to look at it first. He said it could be a pump or shift linkage. Hopefully something less than 2 grand!!!

Thanks for any input. aua
$2200 for a TH400 rebuild is the most outrageous thing i've ever heard. Reckon some people are completely shameless lol. I lust jumped over to http://www.eatmyshift.com/ aka monster transmission and their maximum speced race TH400 rated for 950 hp only costs $1495 which after shipping and taxes would still be cheaper than what aamco quoted you. They have less beefed up options too. If I had a chunk of money to spend at either aamco or monster transmission I know which one I would go with if I wound up needing a trans.

chevymike

AMMCO = Bend over and Smile! :p

Run as far away as you can from them! Drop the pan, change the filter, fill up with clean, new fluid. Make sure there are not any leaks and dropping the fluid too low or a clogged filter.

Well built replacement TH400 can be had all day long for $900-$1400.

JPDC

Thanks guys. That is why I love this site. I thought they were smoking something, but had nothing to compare the quote to.

pmramsey

Where do you live in Virginia? If you are not too far from Madison, VA, Weaver's there do all my tranny work. It is a 40-mile hike for me but well worth it. I usually pay about $800-$1100 for a complete transmission rebuild in the HT400 and they do it right.

lindyp38

i hope u save a ton of cash........if u havent serviced the trans....id do that..right away......as u said....plowing is hard on trans......good luck...

Timber

In almost any town there is a transmission guy that will rebuild a TH350 or a TH400 for $500 or less. Both of them are non-overdrive tranny's and don't require any special tools to rebuild - it's a very simple job for a transmission guy compared to all the automatic-overdrive units that are the norm now. The leg-work is yours to find that guy. Don't fall for the first guy that meets that price, check around and make sure you're going to a guy that does it right. $500 is the most I'd spend on a TH400 rebuild, but I already know that guy in my area. Look around, you'll find him. Good luck with it.

Timber

Also, as others have already pointed out, you may dodge the rebuild by simply servicing the transmission yourself. It's a messy but simple job. A service kit at NAPA will include the transmission pan gasket and filter and will run you around $12. Then you'll need around 5 qts of Dexron tranny fluid - that will run the bill up a bit.

It's not a hard job at all. If you need pointers, say so and I'll help best I can.