• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Went Berry Picking in the M54A1 Today

pmramsey

Bought the M54A1 out of Laurence Township, NJ in May 2015. It was one of the $1000 trucks on GovPlanet there. It was delivered by Mack in 1965. It was rebuilt in May 1975. It was very ugly when I got it. Roof rotted. Everything was absolute crap. I worked on it all of last summer, fall, winter, and this spring. It is coming along. I just crossed over 500 miles today since I started driving it a few weeks ago the purpose of which is to search for problems.

New hoses, radiator, filters, aluminum fuel tank, stripped the cab, new seats: driver's M35A3 and passenger 939 series, foil waterproof floor covering firewall to back of cab roof attach point, another insulated vinyl floorcovering top covering. I can carry on a conversation in the cab! Complete cab panel rebuild, with new data plates, gauges (except speed and RPM gauges), new steering wheel, windows, vacuum windshield wiper system, new doors, new hood, fenders, drop down engine panels, tool and battery boxes with new steps and doors.

There is much still to do. The tires are temporary. The original wheels were measured, checked for balance after sandblasting, powder coated, and painted U.S. Marine Corps Old Forest Green semi-gloss. The entire truck awaits the same paint. Next comes new stainless steel studs and hardware, bearings, seals, and whatever else required. The final work will be the cargo bed takeoff, stripping, cleaning, priming. Yes, the light green stuff seen around the truck is newly applied zinc chromate.

Just in case anyone is curious, yes, I actually got some strawberries at the farm market. And yes, those are freshly made slim jims sitting atop the berries.

Last edited:

pmramsey

The photos are a tough assignment because I am so ****ed slow at it. However, they were waiting the upload.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks