• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Went to camp shelby here are some pics

bryan70546

Hello SS members I went on my first recovery this Thursday with my Good Friend Trailboss (he sold me my first deuce) we went to camp shelby to recover his 5-ton 818 I have never been to a military base so this was a first for me . needless to say i thought i had died and went to MV heaven .
enjoy the pics .:-D

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics! Nice MS NG trucks coming up there, a lot better than the usual trucks out of Shelby!

bryan70546

Thanks Mr.Doug
for letting me come with you glad and be the chase unit.
I saved the best for last when i saw this beast I just had to take pics , My god I would love to have one of these now i just need to find a model of it .The M1070 :twisted:

Attachments

bryan70546

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics! Nice MS NG trucks coming up there, a lot better than the usual trucks out of Shelby!
No problem I would have more but my camera died on me .
There were so many trucks , tanks , APCs out there I could not beleve what i was seeing man it was great. Trailboss got one sweet unit , with a locked toolbox full of goodies , A brand new hardtop ,Gauges ,doors . She purred like a kitten all the way back to la and never missed a beat , I wish the deuce had the power that 5-ton had and the powersteering to .It drives so easy . Now I want one :-D

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The biggest downer of the day was seeing most of the M35A3s, a bunch of M818s and some of the other trucks had papers on them stating they were going to Morocco!! I didn't think there were that many people IN Morocco.

I'm happy with the truck, it only lost 3 mph going up the hills the deuces would drop 10 mph and need a downshift. I did have an oil leak from the line at the instrument panel that dripped onto the accelerator pedal. Bryan slowed that with a towel wrapped around the line.

The tools were brand new - 8ton jack, adjustable wrenches, screwdrivers, air hose with guage, but the 2 lug wrenches were used. Getting the tools was a fluke, since the NG guys at Camp Shelby (unlike most other GL locations) said they were required to pull all tools and equipment from the trucks before they leave. They even pulled my air conditioner from my M109 between the sale photos and preview and the time I picked it up. All I had was a big hole in the front of the box. I wasn't too upset, since they told me they were going to pull it when I was there for the preview.

Here are some more photos - including one of the A3 tagged for Morocco - the NG guy said they wanted to take all of them but didn't get them all. I didn't get any photos of the uparmored M9xx dump trucks, but they were strange looking beasts.

Attachments

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some photos of my new 5-ton. Runs great, hopped in and drove it 135 miles home (previewed it and talked to the NG guy who had driven it), just needs a new paint job. My biggest surprise was when I got insurance from Progressive the day before. LA requires 300K/100K minimums for trucks over (I think) 26K lbs. For unlimited personal use it costs me $2100/yr, compared to about $550 for a Deuce.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Biggest surprise was when I got insurance from Progressive the day before. LA requires 300K/100K minimums for trucks over (I think) 26K lbs. For unlimited personal use it costs me $2100/yr, compared to about $550 for a Deuce.
Trailboss, can you elaborate on the Progressive policy, are there any restrictions? Some of the antique auto/collector policies will not allow trailers and that is a bit pointless for a 818. What would I ask for if I wanted a duplicate policy for my 818? Thanks in advance.

frodobaggins

Here are some photos of my new 5-ton. Runs great, hopped in and drove it 135 miles home (previewed it and talked to the NG guy who had driven it), just needs a new paint job. My biggest surprise was when I got insurance from Progressive the day before. LA requires 300K/100K minimums for trucks over (I think) 26K lbs. For unlimited personal use it costs me $2100/yr, compared to about $550 for a Deuce.
Can you keep it to 50000 lbs ?

Here is the law: R.S. 32:900

AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES WITH A GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT OF 20,000 POUNDS OR LESS must have insurance coverage
of at least $10,000/$20,000 bodily injury and $10,000 property damage as provided in R.S. 32:900(B).

VEHICLES WITH A GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT OF 20,001 TO 50,000 POUNDS must have insurance coverage of at least $25,000/$50,000 bodily
injury and $25,000 property damage or a single combined limit of no less than $75,000 as provided in R.S. 32:900(B).

VEHICLES WITH A GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT OVER 50,001 POUNDS must have insurance coverage of at least $100,000/$300,000 bodily injury
and $25,000 property damage or a combined single limit of $300,000 as provided in R.S. 32:900(B).

WeBeJeepin

I have mine through Haggerty. I have my CJ-7, 1950 Plymouth, M715 and deuce on the policy and the total premiuum is less than $200/year for everything. I have state minimum coverage and I sort of told the agent that they were all garage kept. They did not have a category for trucks that big, so the agent just put it under "Military Truck". If I drove it every day or used it for work I might want something better, but at least i am insured for almost nothing.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you keep it to 50000 lbs ?

Here is the law: R.S. 32:900

AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES WITH A GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT OF 20,000 POUNDS OR LESS must have insurance coverage
of at least $10,000/$20,000 bodily injury and $10,000 property damage as provided in R.S. 32:900(B).

VEHICLES WITH A GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT OF 20,001 TO 50,000 POUNDS must have insurance coverage of at least $25,000/$50,000 bodily
injury and $25,000 property damage or a single combined limit of no less than $75,000 as provided in R.S. 32:900(B).

VEHICLES WITH A GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT OVER 50,001 POUNDS must have insurance coverage of at least $100,000/$300,000 bodily injury
and $25,000 property damage or a combined single limit of $300,000 as provided in R.S. 32:900(B).
The GVWR is 34500 so that should keep it under 50K. It can tow up to 37,000 lb trailer - but I don't think that's included in the GVWR. When the agent put the GVWR in the computer program, the 100K/300K policy was the only option.

The policy is private commercial with no restrictions as long as I don't use it for hire. If I used it for hire, I would also need a CDL in LA. There was a phrase "non-owned trailer" and the agent said the my trailer would not be covered (when I buy a trailer) unless I called and put it on the policy. I'm definitely going to shop around, but I don't want restrictions on the use or storage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks