• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Went to Thunder Over Michigan Today. Saw Ermey.

ida34

I took the deuce and family to Willow Run airport in Ypsilanti Michigan for the annual Thunder Over Michigan Event. They have a huge battle reenactment complete with a bunch of armor. They even had 101st Airborne reenactors actually jumping out of a C-47. I later took a ride in one of the C-47s. It was only $125. A bargain in my mind. Earlier in the day I got to meet R. Lee Ermey. My son and I were both very geeked. I will take some pics tomorrow and post. Today I mostly just cruised around taking it all in. Not much for post war vehicles but a large amount of WWII vehicles and armor. The C-47 is the one I rode in.

Attachments

ida34

I almost forgot. R. Lee is a very approachable and cool guy. It took a while to get through the line because he would talk with people at length. This is great. It must really suck sitting in one place all day signing autographs and he still was in a great mood by the end of the day when we stopped by. Truly a great guy to put up with all the bs and still take time to talk to the "little man". R Lee's assistant liked my son Ty's shirt and asked to get a photo of his shirt just before we got up to get our photo with R. Lee. Pretty cool.

Pawnshop

I love airshows! Looks like there was some natural thunder out there as well.

Gunny Ermy was in Central Texas filming a Chainstore Manicure film a while back and did some shopping in a couple of our pawn shops, all reports are that he is indeed a very likeable man, the kind of person who makes friends at every turn, and he is a freak for jewelry and custom knives!

ida34

Ty and I were sitting there minding our own business on the bed of the deuce when the drive of one of the German Jagdpanzers came over and asked if we had any diesel to spare. Today we were the only post vehicle to show up and stay. An M38A1 and an M151A2 did show up for a couple of hours but we were still about the only diesel vehicle beside the panzers. I told him to take the jerry can and asked if it would be enough. He said it would be then I realized that I was helping the German war machine by helping them with their fuel shortage. I also realized I had just told "Jerry" to take my jerry can. I also found that the right side of the mid and rear axle are leaking gear oil. I had the same thing happen on the left side last year. I will have to do the right side now. I don't see how I can get it done before Clare. I will have to drive the POV. The five ton is still down with the engine seal and the CUCV still has not floors. Bad timing. Now to the pics.

Attachments

newt

I missed Chuck at the event but left a calling card in his Duece while he was giving aid and comfort to the enemy! I was in the gunner's seat of teh M24 Chaffee. I can't say enough what a great event it was. The staff went above and beyond for us. Most of the time I was stuck in the hole and only had a periscope to see thru. It was well worth the 1300 mile round trip!

Attachments