• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Were non-turbo Humvees produced after introduction of the M11xx-turbos ?

AAVP7

I have a question for the resident experts here:

After production launch of the turbo Humvees (M1114, etc.) around 1996, did AMG still produce non-turbo versions ? And if so, do you know until when ?
Can this be proven by something like official documentation, or at least reliable sources ?

This question has a serious background: Overhere in Germany, every imported vehicle has to go through individual testing and registering. And to start this process, you need a "data sheet" which is distributed by one authority only. Now this authority has come to the opinion that every Humvee produced after 1996 has to have a turbo engine.

They are also combining this with a serial number list that was apparently "borrowed" from this site, and thus claim to know which serial number has to have which engine.

And the authority uses this "knowledge" to deny any people with newer serial numbers and "wrong" engine their registration, accusing them of fraud with the serial number or engine type.

Thanks in advance for your help !

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure there is some documentation somewhere, there were many non turbo trucks built after 1996

Awol

My 1997 is a 6.5 non turbo. They definitely made non turbo trucks after 1996.

AAVP7

Thanks for your replies, guys ! That helps at good bit.

I will continue to gather "solid" proof of this. It´s a joke that the authorities here will register a 1989 Humvee, but not a technically identical 1996 with the same engine, just because their lists are wrong.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter

After production launch of the turbo Humvees (M1114, etc.) around 1996, did AMG still produce non-turbo versions ? And if so, do you know until when ?
Can this be proven by something like official documentation, or at least reliable sources ?

This question has a serious background: Overhere in Germany, every imported vehicle has to go through individual testing and registering. And to start this process, you need a "data sheet" which is distributed by one authority only. Now this authority has come to the opinion that every Humvee produced after 1996 has to have a turbo engine.

They are also combining this with a serial number list that was apparently "borrowed" from this site, and thus claim to know which serial number has to have which engine.

And the authority uses this "knowledge" to deny any people with newer serial numbers and "wrong" engine their registration, accusing them of fraud with the serial number or engine type.

I think they are confusing it with a Hummer H1 and I’m pretty sure the 1995 H1’s were the last year of civilian N/A engines. My 2002 Humvee doesn’t have a turbo on it. Hope I’m understanding the question asked? lol

AAVP7

Hmm, interesting thought. You might be right; the first data sheets for that vehicle family were undoubtly civilian H1s, which were imported to Germany long before the first surplus ones.
And possibly the authority just took those build years without extrapolating further for the military Humvees.

Also very interesting to hear that even in 2002 AMG did indeed make NA Humvees. Thanks very much !

CapePrep

My 2001 has a non turbo motor. Runs perfectly and is original. Also, does the H1 use a 6 digit VIN? If not, than there is your proof!

Awol

I think they are confusing it with a Hummer H1 and I’m pretty sure the 1995 H1’s were the last year of civilian N/A engines. My 2002 Humvee doesn’t have a turbo on it. Hope I’m understanding the question asked? lol
That's my guess. They're probably looking at H1s

canadacountry

not directly related to the humvee but even certain cars continued having "knock-down base engine" on the sheet in selective markets (eg that 4dr car alike to an accord? it'll be introduced with a 1.4L engine then four years later this is very much well replaced by a 2.0L base instead except in one or two major countries the old 1.4L is still the base engine for tax and/or economy reasons) .. and even then bigger engines were the same with non-turbo highway diesels lasting quite a long time (at least till more or less the EPA just came down hard on them in a manner speaking)

unrelated but as a side note it used to be that [re in usa] sometimes when an old mainline diesel locomotive (mainly emd's with factory rating of 2000+hp) was being downgraded to shunting/yard locomotive many times its turbo would be stripped off to simplify maintenance as they did not need much power in the new life there

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What the OP needs is some documentation he can show the authorities that his HMMWV was produced without a turbo, I have no idea where to get it but someone probably does..

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Being I export to Germany often, I can tell you…you are screwed, your govt is effectively the state of California. They are in fact Subject matter experts in Hmmwv’s. You are relegated to M998 3 speeds from 85-94 and in line with the internet published mfg SN ranges that I shared about 10yrs ago.

honor first

Yeah my 2007 is most assuredly not a turbo.

Isn't this specific issue why basically only 1980s HMMWV can be improved to Europe?

I wish you all the luck fighting the ridiculous emissions and control on imports there, and if beat it, you'll be an international treasure.

There is a Facebook group named EU HMMWV for Import or something that is run by a guy who does nothing but export to Europe, last name Rodriguez I believe. He is probably an SME you could try to contact.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah my 2007 is most assuredly not a turbo.

Isn't this specific issue why basically only 1980s HMMWV can be improved to Europe?

I wish you all the luck fighting the ridiculous emissions and control on imports there, and if beat it, you'll be an international treasure.

There is a Facebook group named EU HMMWV for Import or something that is run by a guy who does nothing but export to Europe, last name Rodriguez I believe. He is probably an SME you could try to contact.
to be fair…we’ve been exporting long before HMMWV’s were sold by GP.
The No.1 exporter of hmmwv who “actually does the paperwork for customs clearance” is Steve Kopito at Owens Export.
Steve has been exporting for over 30yrs

AAVP7

Thanks you for all your replies. The knowledge that there were NA Humvees long after 1996 might help us in any future discussions.

All my Humvees actually went through Steve Kopitos hands; he´s even a member in our german forum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks