• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Were the M151s and the M151A1s in anyway better than the M151A2s?

While the M151 and A1s are well-known for their roll-overs due to the suspension issues, was there anything/anyway in which they fared better than the A2s? Do the owners of the A2s in this group wish their A2s had a feature or two which the 151 and A1s had but no longer continued in A2?
🙂

fasttruck

The M151A2 was supposed to have some suspension mods which were designed to make it harder to roll over, sway bars as I recall.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned many Mutts over the years, and the A2 was a bit (just a bit, mind you) more stable in traffic.

All Mutts can flip, just like a swing-axle bug.

No fast turns, man.

DG

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own an M151A2 and I concur with what has already been said. The only thing I could think of that may be more desirable in an M151 or M151A1 is that they may be more rare given that they are older. I don't know that for a fact, though, because I don't know how many of each model were released or are still in existence.

nattieleather

I have owned both M151A1a and M151a2s. The A2 rear suspension gave the driver more body roll and therefor helped the driver "feel" if they started to over steer. Personally I enjoyed the ride of the A1 over the A2 as the ride to me was smother than the A2. The A2 had a "jeep" feel to it where the A1 didn't. Again this is my personal opinion. So I liked the A1's ride over the A2. Otherwise the A2 is a better vehicle IMHO because of the mechanical fuel pump. You don't have that tick tick tick under your butt as you do with the electric fuel pump of the previous models. The electric wipers on and one piece windshield are nice also on the A2. The canvas seats of my A1 were more comfortable than the vinyl seats of the A2.
If I was told here is a M151a1 and a M151a2 pick which one you want I would probably pick the A2 in the end.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never owned any versions of the M151. However, I put a lot of miles on both the A1 and A2 models while overseas in the Army. The A2 is a better vehicle than the A1 in my opinion.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One advantage of the earlier models is the M151A1 saw more widespread use in Vietnam than the A2 if that means anything to you. I personally prefer an A2 for all the reasons stated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks