• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

West Coast mirrors and windshield hinges

FreightTrain

Banned
Does anyone have the directions on how to install a set of West Coast mirrors?Properly installing a setup on my rig.Originally came to me with the westcoast mirrors installed ontop of the Elephant ear brackets/windshield hinges.Anyone got a pair of non-mirror windshield hinges they want to trade for the elephant ear style?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't help with hinges but since we are on the subject, one of the trucks I bought has elephant ear mirrors on it. It is missing the L shaped piece and mirror head. If anyone has a spare they want to part with, I's appreciate it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could someone please help me out? I just need two dimensions (+/- ¼”), A and B, see attached diagram.
Also confirm if both parts #15 and 23 are the same left and right.

I want to locally fab 3 – 4 sets of the west coast style mirror arms & brackets, as close as possible to the originals. I got the correct OEM mirror heads but no original supports (arms) to copy from.

TIA
Gerhard

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks a lot, RDD!
Meanwhile I got "A" for the drivers side: 12 ¼”.
Probably same measurement RH, just brackets welded on the opposite side???? (left & right shoe...)
Someone with a tape measure by hand? :roll:

Thanks
G.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: West Coast mirrors and windshield hinges

Recovry4x4 said:
I can't help with hinges but since we are on the subject, one of the trucks I bought has elephant ear mirrors on it. It is missing the L shaped piece and mirror head. If anyone has a spare they want to part with, I's appreciate it.
Kenny I have this, was going to use it as a spare for the 8x8, but it's not the same....
In trade, I'm looking for a couple of marker lights also need a new 3-lever light switch sooner or later. Two marker lights with intact rubber parts is fine in trade.
Gerhard, the "A" dimension on this one (passenger side) is 7-1/2 inches.

Attachments

halftrack

You do not need specific west coast hinges. The Army simply took a band saw and cut or ground the brackests off of the hinges when they converted to west coast type mirrors.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: West Coast mirrors and windshield hinges

cranetruck said:
.... the "A" dimension on this one (passenger side) is 7-1/2 inches.

Thanks Bjorn!
Your's must be a newer version(???) with the two in one "split" head, thus the shorter arm.

Having only the conventional 15x6 flat glas head plus the nice 8" round convex mirror, I sure need "A" to be more than 7.5", if I wanted to install both. Otherwise I think they would overlap...

G.

red devils dude

gringeltaube said:
Thanks a lot, RDD!
Meanwhile I got "A" for the drivers side: 12 ¼”.
Probably same measurement RH, just brackets welded on the opposite side???? (left & right shoe...)
Someone with a tape measure by hand? :roll:

Thanks
G.
I got 12 1/4" on "A" as well.

CGarbee

Speaking of West Coast mirror assemblies... I've got the newer rectangular mirrors with the two in one "split" head on my M817 dumptruck and I would much rather have the older style conventional 15x6 flat glas head plus some nice round convex mirrors.

I've actually already mounted a pair of convex mirrors to each arm as they really help see the top of the bed when it is raised and the little cars next the wheels when driving down the road, but I still nead to swap the rectangular heads. Anyone want to trade?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks