• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

West Virginia to Nebraska

stutzcattle

This is my first post and thank God I found this site.
I just bought a '68 m35a2c and am planning on driving it back from WV to Nebraska. I've read many of the threads on here over the past two days and have learned a ton.

I was planning on flying out and just driving it back, but due to the lack of airports anywhere near this place I'm gonna drive out and get it. One of my buddies is going along so we can break up the drive. I think the ability to bring a bunch of tools with me will help ease my mind.

Any tips or advice would be well taken and much appreciated. I already feel like I owe you guys just based on what I've read so far. Seems like a great bunch of people here.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
READ a LOT before this adventure begins so you have a good idea what your getting into! If the new trucks been sitting for a while go through ALL the fluids and lubricants including Diffs, trans, transfer case and engine, Bring all new fuel filters 2 primaries and a new set of secondaries make sure of battery condition before you get there then its a matter of checking brakes and be meticulous in making sure they are working properly then comes the lights etc. It will be a long drive, I try hard not to exceed 2200 RPM on the hwy but just know how to change all these new filters you will have and bring plenty of tools that may be needed. If the truck is in good shape it will make the trip better than you will, having two drivers will be nice to. Keep us posted and if you do your before pickup prep good you should have no problems
KK

hoop

"One of my buddies is going along so we can break up the drive."

Me thinks you might learn a new meaning to the phrase "break up the drive"

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know what route your taking but if you happen to come through ND let me know and I will give you my contact info and if I can be of any help would be glad to do so!
KK

stutzcattle

I'm buying it from a guy in Keyser. He says it's been restored and gone through and everything works great. I looked for quite a while and couldn't find anything decent that was much closer. They aren't real common around here I guess. There are a few closer listed, but they are either gone, nonresponsive or in bad shape.

On another note; is there somewhere on this site that has a list of the filter and belt #s? I've looked and can't find anything, I'm sure it's here, I just haven't found it yet. I downloaded the 4 page check list from another thread and will use that as the basis for what I'll take to pick up the truck.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
man, that will ba a lot of weight to check in at the airport, might want to think about shipping that stuff to the truck first

zout

Have you read how to do a proper pre-trip inspection on the truck.

I am saying nothing negative about the person you are getting it from - but - you need to be able to walk through this truck top to bottom front to back by yourself and know what you are looking at before hitting the boulevard and joe public.

stutzcattle

Have you read how to do a proper pre-trip inspection on the truck.

I am saying nothing negative about the person you are getting it from - but - you need to be able to walk through this truck top to bottom front to back by yourself and know what you are looking at before hitting the boulevard and joe public.
The guy I'm buying it from wanted me to spend a few hours with him going through a pre-flight before we leave. I can swear that he's honest, but that's the impression I get. He wants to go through the manuals and show me what needs to be checked before I go.

I'm planning on going over it very well and making sure we have oil everywhere we need to have oil and that everything is gtg.

cywk

trip to remember

hey man im new here also and just bought a m35a3 that is bobbed and i must say you will have a trip to remember good luck my best advice fuel filters fuel treatment a compesser tire plugs and a good jack. tire companys are $$$$ good luck

Goose2448

Welcome to SS. Something that may be forgotten, take a laptop, and maybe an air card. That way, if you have problems, you can post up on here for some help. And having a laptop, you would be able to access the TM's if needed too. I dont think the TM's are back up here, but just do a google search and you can find them. And make sure you have at least 1/2" socket set, and heavy duty tools. The bigger the better I always say.....Also remember not to put your thumbs inside the steering wheel, unless you want to be known as Mr. Fingers! READ READ READ, like everyone else has said.

M35 Series Manuals M36, M34, M44, M45, M46, M50, M57, M58, Reo M Series

Last edited:

stutzcattle

Well, we made it back. 1187 miles in two days. Checked all the fluids, topped off the water and drove it back. Only problem was two flat tires and a small leak at the front seal of the trans that would throw oil into the flywheel housing. Didn't use a pint of gear oil the whole trip, just looked bad and made you wonder. Engine ran great at about 2400 RPMs it sat at 55 mph.

I think I've got a keeper......And a new disease.

bob b

sounds like a long couple of days let us know how you fair out mechanical and fuel wise i am reluctant to drive mine any distance don't know why gun shy i guess:beer:good luck bob b

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Glad you made it home! Sorry I missed this post because I would have gladly fed you guys dinner or helped out in any way. Keep us posted!

stutzcattle

sounds like a long couple of days let us know how you fair out mechanical and fuel wise i am reluctant to drive mine any distance don't know why gun shy i guess:beer:good luck bob b
I'd drive mine anywhere now. We had no real problems whatsoever. The truck got just about 12 miles per gallon for the whole trip. I've got a 2008 ford f350 that drinks more diesel than that.

I'm buying it from a guy in Keyser. He says it's been restored and gone through and everything works great. I looked for quite a while and couldn't find anything decent that was much closer. They aren't real common around here I guess. There are a few closer listed, but they are either gone, nonresponsive or in bad shape.

On another note; is there somewhere on this site that has a list of the filter and belt #s? I've looked and can't find anything, I'm sure it's here, I just haven't found it yet. I downloaded the 4 page check list from another thread and will use that as the basis for what I'll take to pick up the truck.
That looks like the avatar pic that an Arfcommer from WV had. Am I on the right track?

LC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks