• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Westbound trip planned for 24th to 30th-ish

Mos68x

Hey guys, thanks to wreckerman893, I believe I have found a truck for me finally. One of his friends in AL has a cab & chassis 934A2 that I'm hoping to pick up when I'm on the east coast area getting my stuff out of storage in MD and AL. Already have the plane tickets for me and my brother ($900 OUCH) and will land at BWI on the 22nd. Once I get the U-haul loaded with the storage stuff there I'll be on my way down I-81 to Huntsville, AL. Hopefully there I'll get the truck and finish loading up storage stuff and be on my way back with out any issues. I'll be taking Rte72 from Huntsville to Memphis, and then I-40 the rest of the way home. I'd love to meet some of y'all and see yer trucks if yer along the way. Going to be about 2400 miles total, 1700 for the truck, any suggestions for an emergency roadside repair kit? I'd like to be as prepared as I can possibly be, so I'm going to get another toolkit from HF and a 20T jack at least.

Thanks

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Buy jack and a 3/8" log chain and 1 lever binder so in the even you do have a flat you can get it up and off the ground and drive for a bit. You will also want quite a few 4x4 blocks or 6x6 blocks just to be handy in case you need them.

If you take the I20 corridor you need to be sure to have spare tires cause that road will EAT the tires off a 5 ton. especially one with no weight on the back end. You may also serve better to stop by a concrete place and pay 90$ for an ecology block that weighs around 4000 to 6000lbs and chain it off the the frame rails. It'll help. Especially on a stock seat.

If it has CTIS, Disable it and air your rear tires to 60 and your fronts to 80.

Mos68x

Thanks for the binder idea, hadn't thought of that. I'm only going to be on I-81, Rte72, and I-40 for the most part. If my funds get a little skinny then I'll stop until I get paid on the 1st. I really wish I could find a 20ft bed for the truck so that I didn't have to use a Uhaul.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the binder idea, hadn't thought of that. I'm only going to be on I-81, Rte72, and I-40 for the most part. If my funds get a little skinny then I'll stop until I get paid on the 1st. I really wish I could find a 20ft bed for the truck so that I didn't have to use a Uhaul.
Call Jeff Davis. 6012643453. He is in Hattiesburg, MS so it is near where you are going to be at. He has a bed I believe

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Mos68x

BTW simp, thanks, though I'd feel better if you took his number down. I know some people are finicky about having their phone number out to the public. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable having my number out like that. Better to have people PM for contact numbers since you can see threads as a guest. But aside from that I did talk to him and I think we have worked out something for a few parts, like an extra fuel tank, 103/105 trailer, air ride seat, and a few other things for this "new" truck I'll be buying in a couple days.

If anyone is along my trip somewhere, including between Huntsville, AL and Hattisburg, MS, y'all are welcome to send me a text or call me 928-350-9048 and maybe we can setup a time to meet. I'll take down the number after I get home.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
BTW simp, thanks, though I'd feel better if you took his number down. I know some people are finicky about having their phone number out to the public. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable having my number out like that. Better to have people PM for contact numbers since you can see threads as a guest. But aside from that I did talk to him and I think we have worked out something for a few parts, like an extra fuel tank, 103/105 trailer, air ride seat, and a few other things for this "new" truck I'll be buying in a couple days.

If anyone is along my trip somewhere, including between Huntsville, AL and Hattisburg, MS, y'all are welcome to send me a text or call me 928-350-9048 and maybe we can setup a time to meet. I'll take down the number after I get home.
His number is in his signature for the site. Just like mine. We buy and sell alot of parts and our pm boxes stay full alot. It is just easier also for members to reach out to us that way.

Mos68x

I'm near your route inbound to HSV, so just sent a text msg to your phone to offer assistance.
Got it, phone stopped working at the airport, gonna have to get another...hopefully tomorrow. Got to get a new iPhone, this one is giving me issues with the external speaker and now the Home button.

Mos68x

Already a day behind schedule. Tried getting a Ugaul today and no one had any available until tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I can get my Harley and the rest of it loaded as soon as I get it tomorrow.

Another Ahab

Already a day behind schedule. Tried getting a Ugaul today and no one had any available until tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I can get my Harley and the rest of it loaded as soon as I get it tomorrow.
You thread title even says 24th-to-30th.

Maybe cut yourself a little slack, dial down the stress. You're pulling it all together, for sure!

Mos68x

You thread title even says 24th-to-30th.

Maybe cut yourself a little slack, dial down the stress. You're pulling it all together, for sure!
Lol thanks for the support, I was trying to be back home on the 30th so I could get a few things finished before my sister flew in to visits on the 6th. I do have my brother with me so we can hopefully make up time on the road by sharing the driving, as long as this truck has ABS. I will have to verify that it has it and make sure that it works properly as best I can tell.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't push the driving. Seriously.

What is more or less safe in a pickup truck is a very bad idea in an unknown 5ton. Falling asleep at the wheel is a bad idea in anything.

But you want to be alert and fresh enough that you'll notice and immediately react properly to things that could go wrong with the truck. I suggest planning for 400 miles/day.

I'm picking up in OKC on the 27th, then headed to college station tx, then to feltz tire, then back through OKC and west on 40. At this point I think you'll be in front of me...

Your truck almost certainly has ABS. If not, you don't want the truck. It's that simple.

ABS is a trivial matter in a pickup truck or a normal class 8 truck. In the 939series trucks that lack of ABS will kill you. Lock up the tires, kill the engine, lose power steering, break your arms, and flip the truck. The 939series is the only truck where that happens....

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?46227-M939-A1-A2-ABS-vs-Non-ABS-Trucks

Most of us consider ABS in our normal vehicles as being an attempt to compensate for lack of skill in the average driver. And while Sally Soccermom may need it in order to safely operate her minivan, we certainly don't need it. We simply utilize our superior skillset and get better performance without it. Does this describe your opinion of ABS?

It comes pretty close to my opinion. The thing is, in a manual transmission during a panic stop, we automatically stomp on the clutch. This keeps the engine from stopping and keeps such niceties as power steering. In a normal automatic transmission, locking up the tires won't kill the engine. In the 939series trucks the lockup torque convertor can't unlock fast enough to compensate....so it kills the motor.

This is further aggravated by the fact these trucks were designed primarily for off road use at fairly low speeds WHILE FULLY LOADED. So the brakes are proportioned for 10k in the bed. This makes it that much easier to lock them up when empty....

If the truck doesn't have ABS, walk way....

ABS lecture mode off. Hopefully someone benefits from reading this.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well, I'm in Fort Payne right now, going to look over the truck in the morning and hopefully drive away with a title in hand.
Status update? I will be leaving memphis at 3am and headed to Texarkana and Dallas tomorrow if assistance is needed.

Mos68x

Status update? I will be leaving memphis at 3am and headed to Texarkana and Dallas tomorrow if assistance is needed.
I'm visiting friends in Huntsville, I was trying to get down to see Jeff by tonight to get a few things but got to talking too long. I'll drive down to see him in the morning. Only thing I'm truly concerned about are the hubs, they were a little on the hot side when I checked them after the 75-ish mile drive from where I bought the truck to Huntsville. I will re pack the hubs in grease when I get home, or whatever the TM says.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm visiting friends in Huntsville, I was trying to get down to see Jeff by tonight to get a few things but got to talking too long. I'll drive down to see him in the morning. Only thing I'm truly concerned about are the hubs, they were a little on the hot side when I checked them after the 75-ish mile drive from where I bought the truck to Huntsville. I will re pack the hubs in grease when I get home, or whatever the TM says.
What was the temperature? Stop and buy an IR gun if you dont have one. Also a tap and die and add a grease fitting to the outer hub.

I20 between huntsville and meridian is going to be rough. And rough is an understatement in a lwb truck with no bed or rear weight and no air ride. There is no SS help on that route or i20 to Tyler Texas

Mos68x

What was the temperature? Stop and buy an IR gun if you dont have one. Also a tap and die and add a grease fitting to the outer hub.

I20 between huntsville and meridian is going to be rough. And rough is an understatement in a lwb truck with no bed or rear weight and no air ride. There is no SS help on that route or i20 to Tyler Texas

It was warm enough to make me pull my hand away on two hubs, but not immediately.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks