• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Westbound trip planned for 24th to 30th-ish

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm visiting friends in Huntsville, I was trying to get down to see Jeff by tonight to get a few things but got to talking too long. I'll drive down to see him in the morning. Only thing I'm truly concerned about are the hubs, they were a little on the hot side when I checked them after the 75-ish mile drive from where I bought the truck to Huntsville. I will re pack the hubs in grease when I get home, or whatever the TM says.

I suggest doing it before continuing. Losing a wheel bearing at speed is no fun.

I've never had a 5ton hub more than just warm, even loaded, even after driving all day.

Mos68x

I checked it later when getting fuel and it was only warm, so I'm not sure what the deal was. I'm still at CSM Davis' place right now. Got the bed on the truck and had to fix a couple other issues that we found. The hanger bearing was crushed and the rear air brake line was severed.

Mos68x

After doing some repairs on the air and brake system, driveshaft, and lighting, and installing the 927 bed from CSM Davis, and changing a tire, I managed to drive back to Huntsville. Today I'll finally get to load the truck with the stuff from my storage unit and hopefully leave to get back to AZ. My sister is flying into Phoenix on the 6th and I'm trying to make it back in time. I probably won't have any available time to see anyone but I'll try to hit up a rally at some point in time so I can put faces to names eventually.

Mos68x

Just left Tucumcari NM, should be home in about 10hrs. Left yesterday evening after loading the truck with the Harley and other stuff from storage. Made good time so far, swapping seat time every time I refuel the truck. Lost my muffler pipe sometime between the last two refuels, never even heard it or knew it was loose. Averaging about 55mph, a little less when you figure in the time spent for each refuel.

Mos68x

Made it inside AZ but it is really **** cold right now, and with the heater not working and the truck being naturally drafty I figured I'd stop for the night and continue on in the morning when it warmed up. Basically I'm tired of freezing lol

Another Ahab

Just left Tucumcari NM, should be home in about 10hrs. Left yesterday evening after loading the truck with the Harley and other stuff from storage. Made good time so far, swapping seat time every time I refuel the truck. Lost my muffler pipe sometime between the last two refuels, never even heard it or knew it was loose. Averaging about 55mph, a little less when you figure in the time spent for each refuel.
There are lots of reasons I wish I still had a bike to ride, but that there is one solid reason I'm glad I don't.

Mos68x

I wasn't happy about it at all, I also thought of the other people who would have to avoid it. If I had know where it fell off I would've gone back for it, but with 200 miles between fuel stops it wasn't worth the fuel to look for it.

I made it back home a couple hours ago and aside from an air line being pinched between the main air tank and the transfer case and then leaking, everything went surprisingly smooth.

Another Ahab

I wasn't happy about it at all, I also thought of the other people who would have to avoid it. If I had know where it fell off I would've gone back for it, but with 200 miles between fuel stops it wasn't worth the fuel to look for it.
Please don't get wrong. I am not at ALL saying that you did something you shouldn't have (you couldn't even have known).

I'm just saying that stuff happens, and the laws of probability say that because stuff happens, well some modes of travel present less threat than others. That's all. :shrugs::beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks