• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Western Star Concrete Mixer Beast

I thought you guys might appreciate this Western Star coming through our factory. We get alot of trucks with heavy rears (58k, etc) but not a whole lot that look like they are straight off of a logging trail or oil field. Any guy who can't appreciate this should be put down!

31,910lb empty chassis weight without mixer!!!! I'd hate to see what the federal bridge payload on this one is!
12:00R24 tires
83,740lb GVWR
Cat Automatic Trans
Passnger side/Curbide Drive
No emission garbage due to the truck going to Indonesia

It's not military but very well could be!
Andy

Attachments

mcmullag

great pics

Thanks for posting those pics and info. I hope the moderators don't mind when members put on some non-green heavy iron photos. I really like seeing this stuff and anitque tractors and such during my daily one site stop for my mechanical info addiction. thanks.

pics

Your welcome! I figured if this was painted OD it would fit on this site. It's hard not to post something a beefy as this. This thing hardly clears the doors our 13' 6" frontloaders go through! We get some intersting trucks coming through here from time to time. We actually have some really heavy speced Isuzu trucks (yes you read that right) coming through for export. I was kind of bummed the Western Star didn't have a triple frame as it only had a double. Western Star is the only company I know of that even offers a quad frame if the application demands it.

All this needs is a "small" 60k Tulsa front winch.
Andy

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: pics

Regardless of the fact that it is not military or OD, I still say... :drool:

(That is "drooling" by-the-way, and NOT vomiting. Which is what it looks like.)

My dream as a young boy, was to drive a cement mixer!!

houdel

Tell me more about the rims and tires on that beast. My M125 wrecker runs 14:00-24 tires, and most look like they came on the truck new in 1957. Gotta eventually get some new tires for the beast. I'd like to single out the rears too, so I can run street legal width. Any chance of some closeups of the rims and tires?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Don't be so quick to say it is not military, we use lots of civilian vehicles for specialty work like concrete. I think I saw a few of these in Iraq. If it is going to Indonasia it will probably work for the military as some point as well.

In any case I like to see these big trucks too like Lee said it gives us ideas about where we might find stuff for our trucks.

ajgerdes

Andydieselpower! must be nice to be able to stare those trucks all day. My girfriends uncle works at McNeilus in Dodge Center MN! i would love to drive one of those puppies!!!!! :driver:

Thanks

I'll see if I can snap some more pictures of the tires. I bet you would fall over when you find out how much these tires cost. Dodge Center, MN home of corn fields and the largest producer of Concrete Mixers and Garbage Trucks in the USA. It's a great place to work. I thought I hit a goldmine after college with this job. If you are ever in the area shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can squeeze in a tour after work for you.

Andy

ajgerdes

RE: Thanks

That would be pretty sweet! Ill have to give you a call once i get my new bike. You know how it is, anything to get out of the house and ride! :driver:

Andy