• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whale oil

RobM36A2

To come back on the coconut fuel.. in a 3rd world country, don't know wich one, they make fuel out of these things..

On topic: I am considering Tea Tree Oil to put in the tank :idea:

zout

Wonder how whale oil would work to paint an mv ??? sure would rust proof it for a while. Looks like everything else has been tried why not fuel and paint with it at the same time.

svd dragunov

If you could find it. It would work great. Just watch out for angry hippies!

As to coconut oil, it has the viscosity of lard at room temp, so heating would be required.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much heating because I have a jar of it next to my chair at home to rub on my cat's back for a wound. It melts at skin temp.

Shove your hand into the tank to melt it, pull hand out of tank, wipe your hand off then drive away.

;-)

Junglemist

If you could find it. It would work great. Just watch out for angry hippies!

As to coconut oil, it has the viscosity of lard at room temp, so heating would be required.
The natural melting point of coconut oil is actually extremely variable from "nut" to "nut".

Here in Belize coconut oil is locally produced. A row of containers of coconut oil on a shelf at any local grocery store here will range in consistency from a liquid to a lard-like substance at room temperature. Multi-fuels like liquid coconut oil as well as Cohune Palm oil. With the variable carbon build-up issues associated with most vegetable oils.

There is a story locally of a logger in Guatemala who has a multi-fuel 5-ton that he runs deep into the jungle for logs. He uses diesel on the way in and then crushes Cohune Palm bunches as he goes. He runs his truck off Cohune oil until he leaves the jungle.

trukhead

The natural melting point of coconut oil is actually extremely variable from "nut" to "nut".

Here in Belize coconut oil is locally produced. A row of containers of coconut oil on a shelf at any local grocery store here will range in consistency from a liquid to a lard-like substance at room temperature. Multi-fuels like liquid coconut oil as well as Cohune Palm oil. With the variable carbon build-up issues associated with most vegetable oils.

There is a story locally of a logger in Guatemala who has a multi-fuel 5-ton that he runs deep into the jungle for logs. He uses diesel on the way in and then crushes Cohune Palm bunches as he goes. He runs his truck off Cohune oil until he leaves the jungle.
Very Cool! ThankYou![thumbzup]

svd dragunov

The natural melting point of coconut oil is actually extremely variable from "nut" to "nut". Here in Belize coconut oil is locally produced. A row of containers of coconut oil on a shelf at any local grocery store here will range in consistency from a liquid to a lard-like substance at room temperature. Multi-fuels like liquid coconut oil as well as Cohune Palm oil. With the variable carbon build-up issues associated with most vegetable oils.There is a story locally of a logger in Guatemala who has a multi-fuel 5-ton that he runs deep into the jungle for logs. He uses diesel on the way in and then crushes Cohune Palm bunches as he goes. He runs his truck off Cohune oil until he leaves the jungle.
The stuff i have is the consitancy of lard at room temp. What does he use to crush the cohune?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

zout

Back in the day, NASA used whale oil as a lubricant in their space program, including the ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) for expeditions to the Moon and Mars. Fast forward to the future and whale oil is still being used to lubricate spacecraft such as the Hubble space telescope and the Voyager space probe. Apparently spermaceti--or Sperm whale oil--doesn't freeze in sub-zero temperatures (quite important given space's super-chilly temps) and man hasn't yet found a suitable substitute for the natural lubricant.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The only experience I have with whale oil is that time when me, Bertha, and Beula Butts got that room at the Holiday Inn and....oh wait...wrong forum...sorry.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks